Halifax Secure (Verified By Visa)

Options
I registered for Halifax Secure on my Visa Electron (i.e. the Verified By Visa service) and I notice that my available balance in my account has a £2.50 difference from my balance, this only happened after I registered for Halifax Secure.

Do you think it's just a temporary debit to confirm the card isn't dodgy etc. and then they put the money back (like what PayPal do for example when you add a card)?

Comments

• sscott5581
    sscott5581 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you register with Halifax secure £2.50 is earmarked. This is a security measure, the amount will not be taken from your account and will be added back to avavilable funds within one week.
  • Sam_G_3
    Sam_G_3 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Ah right I thought as much, it's a shame they don't actually tell you this though!
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The £2.50 is earmarked by RSA Security Inc - who provide the Halifax Secure code. The £2.50 is transient and will 'drop off' after around 10 days (7 Bank days).

Halifax staff appear to be oblivious that the charge is created internally - and most will deny any knowledge of it. That despite the RSA logo appears on some of the internal Halifax Web pages, if you dig down a bit.

As you say - it would be easy enough to add a comment on the £2.50 on their Haiifax Secure FAQs .... which runs to several pages. I was irritated enough to write to them about it (as the £2.50 is a sum much used by fraudsters to 'examine' an account before attempting a larger transaction) - and they promised to address it. Do realise they've had a few other things on their mind recently .... but they shouldn't suddenly deduct funds without explanation.

Previous thread :-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1040947&highlight=halifax+secure
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Many places do this, especially with larger card purchases. It's usually a £1 charge that just drops off after X number of days, to check the card details are valid and working before trying for a larger amount. Sometimes it's £1.23, etc.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many places do this, especially with larger card purchases. It's usually a £1 charge that just drops off after X number of days, to check the card details are valid and working before trying for a larger amount. Sometimes it's £1.23, etc.

Would the £2.50 be charged if i changed my password/got a new card? ive done both recently and the payment has been taken. The bank seemed to know it was from Halifax Secure tho when i rang them

Also a £1 payment was taken today not long after i changed my bank details on many sites. Wonder if its for the same reason
  • Dave_®f©
    Options
    Hey....I had a £2.50 pending transaction that eventually fell off without actually being debited. I racked my brain for over a week trying to figure where I'd spent it. Now I realise after reading this that I registered my card with verified with visa and that's what it is! Why don't they tell you this will happen?!
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you change your password it happens to. I recently did due to someone getting my bank details, and a few days later £2.50 was taken. According to the bank was from firsthosting.com or something. But the lady on the phone knew it was from them
  • King_Damo
    Options
    When you order any shopping from tesco.com they take £2 from your account which then "drops off" after a few days.

Btw why do some transactions using your Halifax debit card take FOREVER to show on your account?! :mad:
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    King_Damo wrote: »
    Btw why do some transactions using your Halifax debit card take FOREVER to show on your account?! :mad:

There is a difference between Halifax agreeing the business can have your money to the business actually asking for the money.

The business will authorize your card for a certain amount and for a certain amount of time. So they'll basically say "King Damo is good for £10 for one week."

The business then has a week to actually ask for the money - there might, for example, be a delay so that they can make a bulk transaction, to save on fees (so they go to Halifax and ask for £100,000 instead of £10).

It's not Halifax's fault and happens with all bank accounts. The nice thing about working in a bank is you can see these pending transactions. ;)
    What would William Shatner do?
  • King_Damo
    Options
    Cheers for that, I've learned something now!

Still, from now on it's all cash, standing orders and DDs for me, I ain't keen on these pending transactions :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure