We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do I sell a car that needs lots of work?

I am getting a company car and want to sell my own - it's an 02 reg Honda Jazz - the basic model and has done 50,000 miles. It's not in bad nick but it was not running that well so I had it serviced prior to selling it. Since then I have spent nearly £500 on trying to fix the problem and have just been told that the head gasket has gone and will cost another £1000+ to fix. Going on various websites (before the head gasket issue!) with on-line valuations the average value was around £2000. Given that I have already spent £500 I don't really want to spend another £1000 (possibly more) when I'm not going to get that much back...or should I!
I've seen some websites offering to buy cars whatever the state they are in - any suggestions as to the best ones and any tips on how to get the most amount of money I can for it?

Comments

  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could find out how much the car would be worth in good condition and not needing any work done. This is easily done by checking autotrader for similar cars.
    So you find out what yours is worth if in good condition then deduct the cost of the work from that price.
    You can sell it any way you like, including autotrader, as long as you declare the faults then no-one can come back to you complaining they weren't told.

    II just checked autotrader and it seems your car in good condition is selling for around £3000.
    You could try selling it in autotrader for something like £2500 ono and state in your ad that the head gasket needs replaced. A mechanic might snap it up knowing he can do it himself and sell it on making a few hundred quid for his efforts. Because your car will also be the cheapest Jazz on the site you'll get a lot of people see your ad even if they don't buy.

    Generally the sites offering to buy your car offer a pittance. I tried them for a Toyota Celica 2003. Privately it was worth around £7500 but they were offering less than £5000. Closer to £4500 if i remember correctly.

    Depends how desperate you are i suppose.

    Good luck!

    EDIT check this out

    Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • find out if any friends etc are wanting a new car, then use yours as their Part exchange at a garage
  • im curious as to why the headgasket has gone!
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    how many times has the car been serviced? I'm guessing at just the one.

    sounds like an old rover I had... difference being generally honda's are pretty bulletproof
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ebay or gumtree as spares and repairs
    or why not google UK honda forums and adverise on their classifieds/sale sections
    good chance of a sale as members know the cars
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.