PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Net shopping bag

Options
I think I may have stumped even the bright people on this site. I am looking for any where that I can buy an old-fashioned net shopping bag. I used to have one for years and it was great for carrying quite a lot of shopping in. I saw them last year inn France and like an idiot I forgot to get one. They are great for sticking in your pocket as they don't take up a lot of space and are so much better than those awful plastic things from the supermarket. My old one fell to bits eventually after about 15 years of daily use. Great for getting fruit and veg in as well.Any ideas folks

Comments

• Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's one in the natural collection catalogue - it's organic cotton and priced £3.95 - not sure how much postage is though :confused:

https://www.naturalcollection.com

link to this product is: http://www.naturalcollection.com/natural-products/String-Bag.asp

There must be other places - but knew I'd seen it in a catalogue I got recently.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are very clever you could unpick a few onion bags and make your own. :D Just kidding. I find the ones made out of calico a bit stronger. They fold down really small.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• bugs
    bugs Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't personally bought from this place but someone I know has:

http://www.incensed.wahmall.co.uk/traderplus/

select Fair Trade Items from the dropdown box at the top and scroll down the page, there are two colours of string bag, £2 each and £1 p&p per order

A site called stringbaglady used to also sell at a good price but seems to be having a break.

I have found several patterns for making them, but a lot involve netting, which I don't know how to do and don't have the tool to try; and the easiest looking one I've found requires a fat circular needle (9mm) (pattern by someone called Judy Gibson I think - search for Turkish stitch string bag on google) which I can't track down either :confused: there are also ones for crocheting if you're feeling crafty.

I've now adopted some Downsizer calico bags (perhaps this would be a good move for MSE merchandise, I bet it'd go down a storm among old-stylers!)and they are nice and strong, but I would have thought that the the string ones would be a bit more squashable and I rather fancy having a couple about the house. Although at least with calico people can't examine what you've bought ;)
  • chrisico
    chrisico Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    I bought one a while ago from Lakeland. I don't know if they still sell them but there are many devotees on here who will be able to tell you I'm sure!!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote:
    I think I may have stumped even the bright people on this site. I am looking for any where that I can buy an old-fashioned net shopping bag.
    Have you really beaten the shop but don't drop team?

I can't believe it! chuckle.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • fifi29
    fifi29 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Try here WWF
    HTH
    Fiona
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank for your links folks ,fif29,bugs,& yorkielass, well done ,you knew exactly what I meant. In France there is a little market town called Chef-Butonne and on a Saturday they have a farmers market.There is an old lady who sits and makes them to order for around 8 euros.
    These bags were very popular with housewives in the late 1950s then along came Gondola baskets and they seem to have disappeared.
    I shall treat myself to a couple as they are really useful to have.
    Thanks again folks ,you have solved another problem
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have actually just bought a fab net bag from peacocks for £4 which I have been using for my shopping. It's actually got a lining so things don't fall out. It's very roomy and has sequins around the top which makes it a bit more glam!
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    I have one of these net bags it was made for me by a lady on the harbour side when we were in Malta in 1991, it is made in the plastic they use for fishing nets and undestructable.......still going strong........use if for all sorts of things.......I was able to choose the colour I wanted and she made it whilst we watched her....fascinating.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    For those who may be interested .... String Bag Instructions
    HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.