E mail problem

Jazzy_B
Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
I recently changed ISP's to a cheaper service. I want to keep the email addresses from my previous provider, and changed to a dial up service. Although I can still receive messages on Outlook Express from the old addresses when I'm connected to the new provider, I can't send them. The only way of sending the messages with the old address is to connect using the old ISP.
Is there any way of changing the settings so that I can send messages from the old addresses while connected to the new ISP.
Im quite happy to experiment with the settings if someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks very much, Jazzy

Comments

• Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Yes, you can probably change the settings so that you are sending messages through your new ISP but they look like they came from your old one.

For Outlook (and you'll have to bear with me this is from memory) go to the Tools menu and select Accounts. Select the account to modify and click on Properties. In there should be the address your ISP wants you to use, try simply changing it to the address you want instead.
  • LincsLad_3
    LincsLad_3 Posts: 611 Forumite
    You might find that you cannot swap things around that easily - many ISPs enforce a rule that you can only SEND email from the account you are logged in on, although you can RECEIVE from any. This is aimed at preventing you from sending out spam emails. (Spammers seem to find a way around it tho!! ::) )

You can adjust the 'Reply to:' field on your email though, so that replies should go to your old address. In Outlook Express it's: Tools, Accounts, [select which account], Properties.
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Thanks very much guys. Problem solved by changing old outgoing mail server to new one. Works a treat,
    :DJazzy :D
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i am having problems with my email account with virgin
    i dont use them as my isp but signed up with them as pay as you go cos virgin email address is important for me.(virgin.net came with the PC and i have used the email for 2 1/2 years)
    when i click on outlook express it keeps asking me for password and when i enter its comes back with error message ???

it was working fine till last friday
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,630
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Virgin is our broadband provider, and today we are experiencing problems trying to access emails. I think
    they must currently be having some server problems.
  • F1F1
    F1F1 Posts: 218 Forumite
    i am having problems with my email account with virgin

From the virgin.net website:

1. Service Announcement Saturday 17th July @ 22:00

Your Email Service

Due to technical difficulties, we are currently experiencing a partial loss of service affecting some of our customers.

Virgin.net are aware of the problem and are working hard to restore service as soon as possible.

To avoid further difficulties after this problem has been resolved, please do not amend or change any of the settings on your PC.

Please be assured this issue is receiving our utmost attention.

Virgin.net apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you're having problems with the Internet (and if you use Virgin Net as your Internet connection provider), check this page before phoning the helpline. We'll tell you what's going on as soon as we're aware of any problems.

If you decide you still need to contact someone at Virgin Net about a service problem, then please e-mail support@virgin.net.
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    last week when i checked the service status there was no problem?

i sent them an email yesterday see what happen?

my other virgin email is working ???
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • Did it really all start here??

This is the oldest thread in the Techy Forum.

It's Saturday and I'm bored lol :)
    Beware of imitations e.g. Robert Sterling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family