Work Focus Interview, following PCA

Options
Having just had a PCA visit and been told that there is no way I am able to return to work, why do I now have to attend a Work Focused Interview? It seems a total waste of time and effort, as the stress will make me ill for days.

Comments

• foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Have you just claimed a new benefit, within the last 6 months?

The same thing happened to me - I was less than impressed! Tell them that you can't work and that's that. That's what I did and they've left me alone since. Annoying though, I want to work but can't so I'm dragged into those stupid interviews!
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    roseview wrote: »
    Having just had a PCA visit and been told that there is no way I am able to return to work, why do I now have to attend a Work Focused Interview? It seems a total waste of time and effort, as the stress will make me ill for days.

When someone has a PCA and passes it triggers a work focused interview where they will see if they can help you in some way to get back to work in the future. These interviews can sometimes be deferred or waived, if you cannot do this you would have to attend or would lose some benefit.
  • scooby1001
    scooby1001 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    I found that strange as well. I was sent a letter after christmas saying that i did not have to submit any more sick notes because they accepted that i was unable to work. Then about a week later i got the work focused interview letter. Sent me into a tail-spin, went to the interview and told him that i was unimpressed by it as why subject people who have been accepted as too ill to work and shell out the cost to them in man-power and the client in stress.just to say you don't have to work we are just saying we will help you if you want to. Well sorry people are not daft they know that already they don't need to waste time and money getting them in to tell them. In fact they could have put a bit in the letter that tells you you don't have to submit any more sick notes, would be far cheaper and less stress-full to the client. Rant over.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know i`ve said this before and have been shot down in flames for it,BUT whilst you have to attend the WFI even if you agree to an action plan you DONT have to follow it thru,if you think that the pressure of attending such an interview will make you ill then speak on the phone to do the person you are supposed to be seeing,they may after asking some questions decide that a WFI will be of no help to you,if you have to go you can take a friend with you.
    whatever you do DONT worry about it
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    I received a letter for one of these interviews today. I have to say it upset me quite a lot as it was totally unexpected, although I did apply for Income Support a few weeks ago. I called the advisor as I thought there had been some kind of mistake, I mean Im signed off work and attend medicals and obviously after the last one I am not able to work so why do I get this letter today? She didnt have much to say really other than that it will affect my benefit if I dont attend. Im quite worried about it and I have trouble leaving the house and its very rare that I do (panic attacks, nausea etc). Im going to be stressed now until I have been! Not looking forward to it at all, I dont feel ready. :(
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Ring them up, ask to speak to the advisor whos name is on the letter and explain you find it difficult to leave the house stress etc. They can do a home visit - what I tended to do in that situation (I used to be one of the advisers) was do a quick interview over the phone. It consisted of
    What work have you done in the past?
    Any family barriers preventing you from working? or that may entitle you to further money? (you'd be surprised how many people would mention a disabled child etc so I'd end up doing DLA forms for them)
    Would you be interested in going back to work?
    Would you be interested in doing any training?
    Are you doing / need anything to help you recover (ie in your case counselling)

Then I'd sign off the interview and not bother you until the next trigger (then that interview was shorter (and as the appointment gets made then over the phone it would generally be done then) - all the WFI advisers in my office did the same

However if they refuse to do a phone interview you should be able to insist on a home visit if you explain the agrophobia
  • mcc28_x
    mcc28_x Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WFI's are part of the governments drive to help people back to work, they don't want to write anyone off...

There simpy a question and answer session with onward referrals to 3rd Party orgainsations afterwards if you want. Someone with more knowledge than me might like to comment on whether the onward referral is mandatory or not.

Mark
    ====================================================
    mcc28_x
    :hello:
    ====================================================

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts