PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you get a funny taste from a thermos flask?

Options
I'm looking into buying a thermos flask to keep hot water in during the day. I've read a lot of money savers do this to save on boiling the kettle. Can anyone recommend a thermos flask that doesn't leave a strange taste in the water? I used one ages ago (the plastic type) and having a cup of tea or soup from it had this funny taste. Maybe things have moved on since with the steel flasks. Does the water stay really hot in a thermos or can you recommend a quick boiling kettle? Thank you kindly.

Comments

• soon2bjobless
    Options
    I must admit we always use the steel ones - I have broke soooo many of the other ones it was worth paying the extra for ones that last! Asda have very reasonable ones.

First make sure its washed properly and when you are finished and put it back in the cupboard never screw the lid on as thats what causes the smells inside. If you have one that smells funny just put bicarb in with some warm water and leave for a while - then wash in hot washing up water and it will be fine.

My big one keeps tea or coffee hot for about 5 hours - I find the steel ones dont keep the water as hot so if you are less clumsy than me buy the other ones. I must admit I like freshly boiled water for my tea but my OH drinks coffee and is quite happy to use water from a flask (we do this when we go camping as it saves keep on putting the cooker for a cuppa)
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    I have some Stanley flasks that I got from Lakeland, and they are fantastic. I take cold milk in one to work for my coffee (I have a kettle in my office) and if I have any left at 5pm it is still cold from the morning (this is a mini-flask, specially for milk I think). Soup at lunchtime in my big flask is still very hot. And they are dead easy to clean. Flasks have got better, so don't be put off by past experience.

Edited to add: they are stainless steel.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ours does make our tea coffe etc taste funny and it is quite new so don't know why.

I poured boiling water in ours and forgot about it, two days later it was still hand hot!
  • BallandChain
    BallandChain Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have the stainless steel one sb44? I didn't want to go back to the plastic type thermos. Thanks for the replies everyone!
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'm very sensitive and I can taste coffee in my tea if that's been in the flask before iyswim!!!
    so I've got my own flask for tea alone and my DH is not allowed to put anything else in it - basically I've got one for tea one for coffee one for soups.
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I prefer the old style flasks and use Milton every now and again to clear any smells, leftover tastes etc.

I really don't like the metal type as I can really taste a sort of metallic flavour in my drinks. I know they are more convenient and last longer but I just don't like the taste.

Just my thoughts.

Tiddly
    :hello:
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry , I know this is a Money saving forum, but you are taking things too far.
    BOIL the water , fresh every time , Tea is too good to be messed about with.

Boil only enough, no waste, cant see how keeping it saves money
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do that every day - have a hot water flask by me right now. I have two 0.5 litre each, bought in Sainsbury, both stainless steel oustide and inside. I find the taste remains 'true', but then I use them to keep just hot water with a slice of lemon, which is much better for all day drinking than tea/coffee. Keeps me warm as toast. :D
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried the stainless steel ones from Asda and they just werent keeping the water hot enough for my liking so I bought one of the plastic ones and its great.As for aftertaste its only used for boiling water so no probs with that.I have another flask and a food flask if hubby wants to take coffee or soup to work

Lesleyxx
  • leyla-aurelia
    Options
    Put a sugar cube inside before storing them, this absorbs excess moisture so stops them developing a 'damp' smell. I second a good quality steel one for keeping things hot, I use mine for water and lemon though, not for tea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport