We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ford Escort Battery connection

prender
prender Posts: 16 Forumite
Hi,

I have just bought a new battery for an N-reg Ford Escort. I asked, when I bought it from an online retailer, for a suitable battery and they gave me a couple of suggestions based on the fact that I needed a square terminal.

However, when the battery came I found that it was a round terminal with an adaptor for the square fittings. This in itself is not a problem but the car has two wires going to each battery terminal. The positive terminal has one wire that ends with a square fitting but also a wire that goes into a small box that sits on the front/top of the battery at the positive terminal. With the old battery there was a metal plate that formed the top part of this little box that sat on top of the battery. This effectively 'reached around' to the back of the terminal - so the connections were: this plate - the battery's terminal - and another red wire. I'm really sorry for the poor description but if no one knows what I'm talking about I'll try and borrow a camera to make it clearer.

The point of my post is to find out what this little box is. I think it's inevitable that I'll have to return the battery but I'll still need a new one and I want to make sure that this is taken into account.

Thanks for any help

Comments

  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Sounds like you've got the 063 version with adapter. Cheap equivelent. Get an 083 (lower output) or 085 (better output) they are still stocked at most places. The little box will either be something to do with a live feed for a stereo or ICE system, or it could be some sort of fused link to the ignition or similar?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.