Egg credit card payments question

Hello,
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere already, but the forum search is currently not working.

I have only just detected that some credit cards can be paid off with a debit card.

I have set up my Egg green and Egg Money cards with a minimum payment by direct debit in order to comply with their T&Cs. However, I always pay my cards in full but prefer to do this "by hand".

Question 1
How many days before the direct debit date does a payment need to be received in order for the DD not to take place?

Question 2
How many days in advance does a direct debit card payment have to be initiated? (For instance, MBNA credits a debit card payment on the following working day.)

Question 3
I received my Egg Money card a couple of weeks ago and have been spending on it since. The "About your cards" page shows my next payment date as 2nd Dec. Does that mean that the current balance is due to be paid on 2nd Dec? For the Egg green card, I receive a statement weeks in advance. Can anyone kindly explain the Egg Money payment cycle?
Dagobert

Comments

• dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    I would have thought that all credit cards could be paid using a debit card, as it is an electronic form of cheque.
    Internet payments made with debit cards usually take two working days to appear on the credit card account.
    ac's lovechild
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    @Dagobert

1. 5 days, according to the Egg FAQ.

2. If you mean 'debit card' payment, it's the next working day in my experience.

3.1 Yes.

3.2 I don't have the Egg Money card, but would imagine it's the same as the Egg Green card.
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    3.2 I don't have the Egg Money card, but would imagine it's the same as the Egg Green card.

YorkshireBoy, as a very regular and seemly very knowledgeable contributer to this board may I please ask without causing offence WHY NOT ????????

Best regards

John
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    I just phoned Egg. Here are their responses:
    1. 5 working days

2. 4 working days for a debit card payment

3. No. For my card, payment date is 2nd of the month and statement date 18th of the month. As I received the card after the 18th, there will be no payment on 2nd Dec.

I shall try £1 test debit card payment to check how long it will really take.
    Dagobert
  • Dagobert
    Only transactions classified as purchases (as opposed to wire transfers) qualify for cashback.

Question 4
    What are Paypal payments?
    Dagobert
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sicker wrote:

YorkshireBoy, as a very regular and seemly very knowledgeable contributer to this board may I please ask without causing offence WHY NOT ????????
    Primarily...

1. I couldn’t “afford” a credit search when they launched it.
    2. My Egg anniversary was a long way off (muling in months 2-5 was the primary use of the old Egg Blue I believe).
    3. I have 4 other SBT cards.
    4. I get 4.75% with ING, and Mrs YB gets 5% in her ISA (sooner than she would otherwise have done).
    5. I honestly thought that other providers would have blocked BT’s from the Egg Mastercard (happily for others my fears were unfounded here).

I may look at it again in the future, after I've done some sums on the cashback (vs recycling our min payments with our existing cards) and if my credit report/stoozing activities allow.
  • Dagobert wrote:

Question 4

Paypal was set up by EBAY to help people pay for goods electronically.

Michael
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    YorkshireBoy,
    Thanks for your responce which I can understand. I too use ING for the 4.75% interest rate but find preloading Egg Money and using it carefully is very convienient.
    I also keep £2500 (over that has rubbish interest rate) for there 5% interest rate.

JOHN
  • Dagobert
    michael19 wrote:
    Dagobert wrote:
    Question 4
    Paypal was set up by EBAY to help people pay for goods electronically.
    I know. ;)

What I meant was: when using a credit card for a PayPal payment, does PayPal classify it as a purchase or as a wire transfer?
    Dagobert
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yorkshire Boy

Have a Egg Green and applied for Egg Money.
    Instant Yes decision.
    No credit check on Experian or Equifax.
    Regards
    No6
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business