PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Rented property - damp and mould

Options
Hi Everyone,
Second post on this topic so thanks to everyone for the previous advice.
Background
Moved into a New Build property in Dec last year.
In January we noticed that there was mould growing on the window panes and window ledge and a lot of condensation on the windows.
I called the letting agent who told us it was the building firm, contacted them who said it was the letting agents responsibility. So backards and forwards till the letting agent tells us because it is a new build there is moisture in the walls, and the property needs ventilating, once thats done, it'll go.
So since then we've had the windows open when possible, wiped away any condensation as we've spotted it and always had the vents on the windows open.
We also noticed that items in the built in wardrobe in the bedroom were getting a light fuzzy mould over them.

Summer came and it wasnt much of a problem.
Two weeks ago OH and I noticed it was all back with a vengence!
We then did a right old rummage through everything, all my shoes in the wardrobe bar the 4 pairs ive been wearing recently are all covered in mould, coats etc in there for storage are coated, and bags as well.
We pulled out our bed and units and the back of them is covered in mould! Real big old bits!
The we found a large damp patch on the internal wall which seperates bedroom and living room (Ground floor flat)
Took photos of everything and marched them into the letting agent who contacted the build firm (who are still on site) and sent someone round today.

Now all he could tell me (repeatedly) was that its all caused by condensation. We need to have the windows open at all times, by at least 2 inches he thinks.
When I pointed out all the areas and the damage he just kept saying yeah all condensation, it needs ventilating.

When I asked him about the damage to our property he just said write in to weston homes (the build company), and see what they say.
Now from my point of view I feel like hes trying to blame all of this on us, but the vents have literally never been closed, the windows were open most of the summer and it just seems so extreme condensation/damp/mould.

The letting agent is getting a report from the builder and advice notes on what to do.

So questions..
Can we get out of a standard rental tenancy because of this problem?
I dont think it is a condensation problem since its been ventilated, all we do is sleep in there, theres mould over everything and we've had to replace loads of clothes, furniture etc and the smell is atrocious!

Is anyone liable for the costs we've had to incur?

Who else could we contact to get an impartial opinion on the cause of the problem? Obviously the guy who works for them isnt going to admit its their fault?

And any other suggestions appreciated...

Whilst he was here the builder did clean up the mould on the window sill/skirting board, and put som disinfectant on it, which to be honest just looked and smelt like watered down washing up liquid in an unmarked bottle.
He then also put stainguard on the damp patch on the internal wall.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Manifesting Abundance in 2023
Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66

Comments

• SquatNow
    SquatNow Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    And any other suggestions appreciated...

Never, ever, EVER rent a new build.

There are always problems with new builds due to the nature of house construction and if you're the tennant the LL has no reason to get involved in resolving it until they come to find a new tennant.

Take lots of photos, give notice, move out, SUE.
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • rich010273
    Options
    Best way i've found is to get your solicitor to write to the Letting Agent saying sort it out now.
    Damp is sometimes due to untreated walls that get no sunlight. No amount of scrubbing is going to get rid of the problem.
    Get legal or you'll be fobbed off for even longer.
  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we have just the same problem, ours is a ground floor flat but not a new build. we have mould everyware mainly the 2 bedrooms at the back of the flat.we rent privatly and the LL doesnt want to know he says we must leave the windows open.The problem with us is we havnt got the best credit history so we will strugle to rent through an agent.
    We really dont know what to do.Its my wife who i feel sorry for most she doesnt like to spend a lot no posh dresses and her only good one is covered in mould.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A dehumidifier will sort it out immediately in the short term.
    Argos have some on half price at the moment too.

£50 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150664/Trail/searchtext%3EDEHUMIDIFIER.htm
  • jonathon
    Options
    i have one of those it cant cope
  • Meatballs
    Meatballs Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just checking, you don't hang washing up indoors do you?
  • jonathon
    Options
    no that drys in a condenser drier in the garage
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Ring the council's tenancy support officer and see what they say. They may well get env health out and hopefully you'll get it sorted.
  • Millburn_farm
    Options
    As someone looking to build (and live) in a new modern house; I (we) have been warned that it will take a year for it to dry out, and whilst investigating all that comes with new houses, I've noticed that the builders talk in a new language; "carbon neutral" "power envelope" and such weird things; personally, if you've been there a yr and the builders are still building other new houses; I'd say get your your landlord to persue them; and if he doesn't; well he's failing in his duty of care; because if he was living there he'd move heaven & earth to get it all fixed and snagged
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport