edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
2 replies 768 views
p3ggp3gg Forumite
208 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hi all,

We're planning a major road trip across Europe and have started to have thoughts about increasing our car's capacity by adding a roof rack and/or roof box. Problem is we know nothing about these...

So, can anyone offer any advice/experiences re:

i. Where to obtain a rack/box without breaking the bank
ii. Effect on fuel consumption
iii. Effect on car handling
iv. Any special regulations in other countries
v. Anything else you can think of

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Replies

• WigWig Forumite
    14.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i. Halfords for a price comparison & then google.... roof boxes for online stores. roofbox.co.uk for example.
    ii. neglible - about 2mpg (more if you don't use a roof box)
    iii. almost none
    iv. not that I know of
    v. Thule are the best. Locking roof rack is a good idea.

If your car has gutters you can use cheaper gutter racks, if no gutters you will probably need to buy a purpose built rack from your car dealers.
  • gatra_2gatra_2 Forumite
    140 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    p3gg wrote:
    Hi all,

We're planning a major road trip across Europe and have started to have thoughts about increasing our car's capacity by adding a roof rack and/or roof box. Problem is we know nothing about these...

So, can anyone offer any advice/experiences re:

i. Where to obtain a rack/box without breaking the bank
    ii. Effect on fuel consumption
    iii. Effect on car handling
    iv. Any special regulations in other countries
    v. Anything else you can think of

Any help gratefully appreciated.

I looked into a roof box as we do Centre PARCs a lot with the kids, but opted for a small trailer as it means when I get to CP all I need to do is to unhitch and push straight up to the front door and unload no stretching up or long walks when unloading.

Just don't do what i did once, I had two bikes on top and forgot (Wife was going on abit at the time nag, nag, nag.)about them and tried to enter a multistory carpark. Need I say anymore.
    Chocolate is the solution to all life's problems. Life happens, also coffee helps.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support