Nationwide application tricks for getting a Debit Card 1st time?

Options
There's a few banking products on the market I'm after and I have been opening savings accounts with the banks concerned depositing largish sums and plan to apply for products/accounts in the future.

But with Nationwide you can't open a savings account without first opening their flex account (which I assume involves a credit check) and decison on the type of card issued.

Would like to get the debit card on 1st application rather than waiting 7 months .

So with regards getting a debit card from people's experience is it better to apply online or in branch?

Online your given a choice of reasons why your opening a Flex account i.e:
1/ I will pay £100 into my account...
2/ I will open an e-Savings, e-Bond or Monthly Income 60+ account when I receive my card.
3/I will use my Nationwide current account as my main account, and transfer my regular payments and credits from my existing bank account ...
4/I am aged 16 or 17

If you select say I am 16 or 17 or I will pay £100 do they simply not credit score you and issue you just a cash card only (even if your the Sultan of Brunei or his grandson).

Following the same logic if you select using it as your main account do they credit score you to see if you would qualify and if so issue a debit card if you qualify?

If so what happens if you select esavings do they credit score you?
Anyone managed to get a debit card straight away when they selected a savings account on their flex account application.

And if I do end up with only a cash card. Would it help my chances of getting a debit card in 7 months time to put some savings with them and to also actively use the current account i.e run money in and out or will this be obvious "cross firing"?

Comments

• JBEILBY
    JBEILBY Posts: 42 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I too am considering opening a Nationwide Flex account by transferring my current account from HBOS. The nationwide paperwork says it will aim to complete things within 10 working days provided all my direct debit/standing order people respond in a timely fashion. Before I jump has anyone any experience of transferring with Nationwide doing all the work???
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I transfered last year from NatWest to Nationwide and let them do all the work (and I got £100 for it at the time).
    They say in the T&C that for the first month you should keep enough money to cover all your payments in both accounts just in case your service providers don't reply in "timely fashion".
    I was absolutely O.K. and everything was done withing 2 weeks. I remember I sent them the signed paper for my old bank just after I got paid and paid the bills to give them as much time as possible.
    Everything went fine with all my DDs, but then I might not be the best person to judge as I only have few DD & SO on my private account. Most of the services goes out of joint account.
    BTW I applied online.
  • rdp1980
    rdp1980 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    My wife and I opened a joint account with Nationwide last year, we went in branch rather than doing it online. It is just a secondary account which at the time we used for sticking money in for our "doing up the kitchen" fund. I had had a Nationwide credit card for years, but my other half was new to Nationwide. We both got a VISA Debit card with no problem at all.

Perhaps things may have tightened up a bit since then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure