liability insurance for clubs/societies

Could someone point me in the right direction please. I've just taken over as Chairman of a little local twinning (as in twin-towns) club. We seem to have to pay a lot for liability insurance - but I wonder how much we actually need. How can I find an expert in this type of insurance? or would I be better off speaking to a solicitor to find out if we actually need any insurance at all. Many thanks for any comments.
Leylie

Comments

• Don't know about specific liabilities but in these days where "ambulance chasers" are on the streets encouraging everyone to sue everyone else it is probably wise to have insurance.
    I suggest you try a reputable broker - if all else fails PM me and I will give you details of one I use who found us insurance for antique shop (including stock and goods in transit) - nearly impossible to find on your own.
    Cheers
    GoG
    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid!!
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Hi - in these litigious times I would not recommend that you organize any trips meetings or functions for a body such as a twinning society without liability insurance.

One of the market leaders in insurance for public sector and non profit organizations is Zurich Municipal via their Community Insurance Centre in Southampton on 0845 6023896 and they should be able to give you a reasonable quotation.

Alternatively ask your local council to put you in touch with their insurance company/brokers or try Ansvar Insurance who insure non profit organizations.

Best of luck
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree you should have some insurance, and those are all good suggestions. Another is to ask if there is an 'umbrella body' for town twinning organisations and see if they have a suitable policy or can suggest insurers?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • leylie
    leylie Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all your replies - Maclean2 - I'll conatct the ones you suggested - thanks
    Savvy Sue - thanks - our current policy is with the 'twinning umbrella' but as the cost of the insurance caused quite a discussion at the AGM - I thought I better do my own research, and see if anyone can come up with a cheaper idea
    GoG - I'll see how I get on with Maclean's suggestions first, but thanks for your reply
    Leylie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport