Boycott Norwich union car insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
9 replies 1.1K views
gatra_2gatra_2 Forumite
140 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
:mad:
I came across a report about NU dropping the "drive any car" not belonging to you part of their insurance policies.
:eek:

This is one of their responses to the Greenaway report into stopping people driving cars with out insurance.

They are aiming at the one man garages that may be using this loophole as a way of picking up customers cars for fixing. But we will all suffer as a result

A lot of people will just renew their insurance and not realise they are not covered to drive other peoples cars as they legally have been before, if NU get away with this all the other insurance companies will of course follow as the co op is now doing. The Coop has a twist as they will let you drive some one else's car in an emergency.

Martin can you do some digging into this, and let us know more of the ins and outs of this new report.
:beer:
Chocolate is the solution to all life's problems. Life happens, also coffee helps.

Replies

• WigWig Forumite
    14.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use those two, I would not renew with them as a result. What you need is for all their policy holders to renew elsewhere.
  • I can't believe how insurance companies have shafted us for years. I (I suspect like many other people) only have insurance as it is a legal requirement. I would NEVER claim on it (what is the point - your premium will only double next year to cover their losses). I think it's about time the government looked into this & started imposing some proper regulations on these Thieves.
    Sorry if this view seems a little harsh – but I feel very strongly about this!
    Women priests. Great. Now there's priests of both sexes I don't listen to - Bill Hicks.
  • gatra_2gatra_2 Forumite
    140 posts
    I can't believe how insurance companies have shafted us for years.

well said I think we all agree on this
    Chocolate is the solution to all life's problems. Life happens, also coffee helps.
  • gatra_2gatra_2 Forumite
    140 posts
    Wig wrote:
    I don't use those two, I would not renew with them as a result. What you need is for all their policy holders to renew elsewhere.

This is the point I wish to make
  • I just renewed with Norwich Union - Still able to drive other cars as before.

I think this restriction only applies to under 25's and not to an oldie like me with full NC and Comp insurance.
    qui tacet consentire -

Who is silent gives consent.
  • nelly_2nelly_2
    17.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get to drive other cars and my insurance is only 3rd party, with direct line.
  • I remember hearing about this a couple of weeks ago but it wasnt only Norwich Union planning it - I cant remember now who else but there were certainly 2 or 3 def going to do it and others were considering bringing it in - they reckon that its going to be the norm in the next couple of years
    Joined slimming world Feb 2010

Starting weight 14st 3lb
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't be the norm if we boycott them.
  • shellsuitshellsuit Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with CIS who i believe are part of CO-OP and have third party insurance and i can drive any other car and be covered 3rd party on that also, even if the other person does not have their own insurance on it. The car does have to be taxed and MOT'd though.

My policy is due for re-newal in February through so i'll see what they say then!!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support