Help! Sick but working

Hi,
I'm looking for advice. I had been off work for 20 weeks due to osteoarthritis but returned to work 4 weeks ago, on rehab hours (3 days per week). I am still in pain and on medication. I have good days but also have many days where I am unable to move my neck and arm.
I am expected to return to full time hours this week and today I am off as I am in pain. I was at Doctor today who increased pain meds and also anti inflamitorys.
If I am unable to work full time and my employer will not agree part time hours, what benefits would I be entitled to and how much? I am married with 3 children all school age.
If I was accepted part time - would I be entitled to any benefits as I can't afford to reduce my hours financially?

I'm not sure what to do for the best?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    As your married this all depends on household income. What does your husband earn?
  • Hi,

My husband earns £37k. If I am sick and unable to work will his earnings still be considered?

Thanks!!:beer:
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    If you have paid enough NI contributions you should be able to claim Incapacity Benefit which starts off at £63.75 a week. This is not means tested so you would receive it regardless of our husband's wage.
  • Thanks! this is obviously a huge drop in income which I can't afford at the moment. I have always worked so should have paid enough NI. I am in the process of looking into whether I am covered by the DDA so maybe my employer can help with any changed I may need ot continue working full time.

Fingers crossed!! ;)

Thanks again!!
  • Ditzy_2
    Ditzy_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    All employers are bound to help those with disabilities which may impact on their work and should help with all they can to make sure that you are able to carry out your current duties or find alternative roles in the workplace that you are able to manage. Sometimes the best way is to reduce your hours or go on flexi. Employers should not make anybody feel forced out of their employment due to ill health. Are you a union member? The union can often help or the CAB.
    Going through something very similar myself - work PT as cannot do FT hours, carried out a work desk assessment and had my chair changed and ordered equipment to help carry out my normal work. Training for other roles so I am able to come in and do them on my 'bad' days. This has eased the stress and worry immensely and in fact helps me feel alot better. Trying to stay in employment as much as possible. Full support of my doc.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Ditzy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport