IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Cheaper bus travel?

in Motoring
2 replies 592 views
I work in a town about 25 minutes drive away (40 minutes by bus, sadly...) and get the bus there and back every day. Right now I'm buying a monthly pass for £65 a pop, which lets me travel on every Arriva route around here... suffice to say, it's quite expensive and overkill considering I only ever get the bus to work and back. Is there any way I could possibly get the ticket a little bit cheaper? Could my employer perhaps be persuaded to chip in, seeing as I'm paying £65 a month just to get to work and back?

Replies

• dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I work in a town about 25 minutes drive away (40 minutes by bus, sadly...) and get the bus there and back every day. Right now I'm buying a monthly pass for £65 a pop, which lets me travel on every Arriva route around here... suffice to say, it's quite expensive and overkill considering I only ever get the bus to work and back. Is there any way I could possibly get the ticket a little bit cheaper? Could my employer perhaps be persuaded to chip in, seeing as I'm paying £65 a month just to get to work and back?

Well you don't say where you are which doesn't help.

But the best way is to ask Arriva - they will know. There may be a specific season ticket available for your journey that is cheaper

Remember if your employer chips in (unlikely I would have thought) it would be taxable.

£15 a week for travel sounds cheap to me anyway. Many people pay more than that a day.
  • gner_exgner_ex Forumite
    285 Posts
    Your employer may offer an interest free loan, to allow you to purchase an annual pass which will often be cheaper (not taxable unless the ticket is more than £5000 per year).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum