This could be interesting for a few that are leaving and trying to decide what to do

Options
If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Options
    I think its no different than what is in place already,

With the use of the SLC & the ELC system, if you were thinking of leaving the forces you could use up too £2175 each year (using SLC & ELC) before you enter resettlement.

A start could be to use them to improve GCSE & A-Level qualifications, allowing attendance to university courses.

Most people decide not to use these SLC's & ELC's during there time in service, but its all free, and if you dont use them, you lose them.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think its no different than what is in place already,

With the use of the SLC & the ELC system, if you were thinking of leaving the forces you could use up too £3300 each year (using SLC & ELC) before you enter resettlement.

Eh??

SLC is £180, ELC is £2000....

How does that add up to £3300?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    My mistake gt568, original post edited.

Standard Learning Credits are up to £175

http://www.learning-forces.org.uk/doc%20store/06037DINs.pdf

Enhanced Learning Credits are either £1000 or £2000, depending on amount of time spent served.

http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/mssql/apply.html
  • gt568
    Options
    And you are limited to 3 ELC...lets not let the public be misled that you can claim that every year.....and it's only up to 80% of the course fees...

So not really the same as what the tories are on about..
  • kyh
    kyh Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but how many of us (currently serving) would want to be teachers - my hubby (ex army) tried it and hated it and I know it certainly doesn't appeal to me.
  • gt568
    Options
    kyh wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how many of us (currently serving) would want to be teachers - my hubby (ex army) tried it and hated it and I know it certainly doesn't appeal to me.

It's not just about teaching...

You obviously missed this bit
    They will also pledge to pay university tuition fees for a first degree for anyone who has completed an active tour of duty.

And for the record at least one as I'm still serving and fancy trying my hand at teaching.
  • scouse05
    Options
    Very interesting and as someone who's serving I would like to do a degree when I leave - preferably not a teaching degree but if their going to pay for any first degree that would be a bonus. :T

My only question is will they count Operational Tours of Bosnia, Kosovo and NI or will it just be Iraq and Afghanistan??

I wish they'd up the SLC fee to something more reasonable - it's hard to find a decent course where you don't end up spending more than 20% of the fees. Not that it stops me paying for the course myself but any money back is gratefully received :grin:
  • downs523
    downs523 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slc= £175 Per Year In Service
    Resettlement Grand Is £534 Upon Signing Off
    Total Without Elc Is £709
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing