🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lloyds TSB Cashpoint error. Does my son have to pay?

Options
Hello everyone,

My 21 year old has received a letter from his bank saying "We're sorry to tell you that due to an error on 30th August 2008 we didn't take the money from your account for the Cashpoint transaction you made for £90."

They have given him until 7th October when they will redress the situation and of course, they offer apologies for "any convenience caused".

He tells me he had a feeling things weren't right when he found he was more well off than expected! I feel certain that he's going to have to cough up, but can anyone tell me otherwise please? It's their mistake so shouldn't they pick up the tab?

Advice please ladies and gents.

Thank you - KittyJane

Comments

• ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Kittyjane wrote: »
    He tells me he had a feeling things weren't right when he found he was more well off than expected! I feel certain that he's going to have to cough up, but can anyone tell me otherwise please? It's their mistake so shouldn't they pick up the tab?

Sadly not. He obtained the benefit of the money, they simply didn't debit his account - he has lost nothing, and indeed has gained the dubious "benefit" of being able to spend the same money twice. It may be their mistake, but right now it's a loss to them.

If he'd lost out (i.e. they'd debited his account and no money had appeared, or he'd been debited twice) he might have grounds for complaint.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Kittyjane wrote: »

Advice please ladies and gents.

Thank you - KittyJane

What is he going to have to cough up he took the money from the account
    You are responsible for knowing how much is in your account, you cannot assume at any time that all transactions will have been processed and show on a ballance.

NO ONE should be using there ballance as a guide to what they have to spend, he obviously tracks a bit in his head since he was uncertain that the amount showing was correct, he should have checked tht all transactions were showing, was a mini statement available at cash machines on his account?, or by going on-line.

He should be greatfull they are giving him notice, thus saving any possible charges should it have taken him over.

The only option I see is to ask for a bit longer if going overdrawn is likely.
  • Kittyjane
    Options
    This was my feeling exactly but i just wanted to see if there was a precedent.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    There will have been a record of the card used which they can use to match up his account records - so unless his card was reported lost or stolen before the transaction he must pay.
  • miggs37
    miggs37 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I recieved almost identical letter for the transaction i made on 30th august for £30 they hadnt taken,when i checked my statement i hadnt even made a transaction on that day,am visiting bank tomorrow to sort it out:mad:
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Ugh. And people wonder why banks don't trust customers.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    miggs37 wrote: »
    I recieved almost identical letter for the transaction i made on 30th august for £30 they hadnt taken,when i checked my statement i hadnt even made a transaction on that day,am visiting bank tomorrow to sort it out:mad:
    It wouldn't have been on your statement would it? - that is why they sent you the letter.
  • miggs37
    miggs37 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    So i visited the local bank and they kept saying"thats why you got the letter because there was a glitch
    in the system that day"but they could not show me evidence of the money coming out!
    So if i made a withdrawal on that day and they know about it surely there is evidence somewhere for them to know about it?
    They just kept on spinning around the facts untill i went away,basically"suck it up son".:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport