Duplicate login names

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
4 replies 750 views
bilbobagginsbilbobaggins Forumite
24 Posts
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
I sent the following to 'The Webmaster' and got a swift automated reply, which I took to mean 'sort it out for yourself'.....:confused:

I don't go a bundle on auto-replies, so here's the text.....

"Hello.

I suspect there may be two - or more - registered users of the site and forums with essentially the same user name as mine and I'd like your help in changing that situation.

I did a 'search' of the forum(s) using my existing user-name 'bilbobaggins' and found several response made by 'BilboBaggins' - another user. Not only did I not find the post I'd made and was searching for, but I consider that the ambiguity is potentially disturbing to each of us, and to other users.

Perhaps the easiest resolution is changing my existing login name to 'oldbilbobaggins'. Should you agree, then please make the change and so advise me. Conversely, should you have a better idea, let me know.

Regards,

'bilbobaggins'

:mad:

Replies

• espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a 'search' of the forum(s) using my existing user-name 'bilbobaggins' and found several response made by 'BilboBaggins' - another user. Not only did I not find the post I'd made and was searching for, but I consider that the ambiguity is potentially disturbing to each of us, and to other users.

They are obviously unique and totally different user names:

BilboBaggins registered 28-02-2006 one year before yourself bilbobaggins who first registered 17-02-2007

Perhaps the easiest resolution is changing my existing login name to 'oldbilbobaggins'. Should you agree, then please make the change and so advise me. Conversely, should you have a better idea, let me know.

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to leave it as it is!

:doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry its not that you are a regularly poster anyhow 7 posts in 18 months
  • marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sceptical, that the OP is trying to get someone deleted from MSE.

I actually thought MSE had solved the upper\lower case issue with names, it was with the ignore feature; However it is mentioned I am sure about using similar names is against the forum rules.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sceptical this is not a troll, but in the event that it is a serious request.

1. At least you got a reply.
    2. As you only have 7 posts to your name, I hardly think anyone 'knows' you enough to care
    3. If you want the username oldbilbobaggins, just take it in a new account and ask that this one be closed
    4. Even if you do that, surely someone will become Oldbilbobaggins just to annoy you?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals