When do road tax fees change?

Options
adandem
adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Hi our car tax is due for renewal, does anyone know when are the rates going up?

We don't know whether to ge for 6/12 months atm.

Thanks.;)

ETA - our renewal price is £145 pa, I believe this puts us in band D?

Comments

• JPS
    JPS Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mate

I was just going to start a thread saying this - I have just had to do my car tax - £210 for the year band F :(

I believe the car tax rates go up next April in line with the budget - which means if you buy 6 months car tax now you can get another years car tax next March at the lower rate! Mine will be going up from £210 to £260 so deff worth it and I have just done 6 months at £115.50.

adandem - if your car has 161g/km or more then it will be going up to £175 a year for you so worth doing 6 months. If it is under that then looks like it will be going up by just £5!

Either way, you save money by doing a year :) Although this car tax system is some what of a joke, but I'll leave that rant for another time....
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing:)
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks JPS, just looked it's 154g/km so not too bad for us.

That's a huge jump for yours though.:eek:
  • illuminate
    Options
    I started a thread on this earlier this week....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1181341

Having had a chance to think about it I'm inclined to agree with HandyLandy on my thread.

If the licence you are buying is due to start on 1st April 2009, then you will have to pay the rate from that day...i.e. the rate for 2009-10. So even if you were to pay on 30th March 2009 it would make no odds.

However, the other comments re. cancelling a month early in order to renew at the 2008-09 rate seem to be the best way forward here.

I've mailed the DVLA to confirm the position and will post back here when I get an answer.
  • JPS
    Options
    adandem wrote: »
    Thanks JPS, just looked it's 154g/km so not too bad for us.

That's a huge jump for yours though.:eek:
    One of the few downfalls of owning a Clio Sport 182! But it's just silly because an extra £50 isn't going to make me sell my car, which is just one of the reasons I think the new car tax system is stupid.

Saw a great clip on Fifth Gear the other day on how to cut road tax - makes interesting viewing!!

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?mnk=410&id=247&description=How+to+Dodge+Car+Tax

Tricky stuff...I read in Auto Express that if you renew next March then you would get the lower tax rate but you make a good point illuminate, l will await to here from you and what the DVLA say!
  • illuminate
    Options
    Answer from DVLA...

Thank you for your email.
    If you purchase vehicle tax to start from 01.04.2009 you will pay the new rate.

So, as me and LandyAndy suspected its when your licence is due to start NOT WHEN YOU ACTUALLY PAY that determines the rate you pay.

So my tactic is gonna be to declare SORN on the last day of Feb 09. Then renew first week in March at the 2008-09 rate for 12 months. This will be backdated to 1st March.

It might cost me a few days with the car in the garage, but hey.. I'll mange for the sake of about £100.
  • JPS
    Options
    illuminate wrote: »
    Answer from DVLA...

So my tactic is gonna be to declare SORN on the last day of Feb 09. Then renew first week in March at the 2008-09 rate for 12 months. This will be backdated to 1st March.

It might cost me a few days with the car in the garage, but hey.. I'll mange for the sake of about £100.
    Sounds like a plan! Think I will have to do this too, as long as it is OK to do it?
  • JPS
    Options
    Just an update for anyone that does not know.....:D

Great news for people that were preparing to spend anything up to £200+ EXTRA on their car tax next year, it was stated in the Pre-Budget Report today that there would be a maximum increase of £5 next year, and a maximum of £30 the following year. I think this is fantastic news for car owners with larger engines. This will now stop a lot of cars being made "worthless" due to stupid road tax costs.

"Although the car tax changes were aimed at hitting gas guzzlers, many mid-range family cars, such as a Ford Mondeo, would have seen road tax rise from £210 this year to £300 next year and £310 in 2010. This will now be limited to £215 and £245 in 2009 and 2010, repectively."

:D
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "This will now stop a lot of cars being made "worthless" due to stupid road tax costs."

Unfortantly the damage had already been done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure