HBOS Scam

Options
Well Martin, I hope that you can sleep at night following your advice last week to get your cash out of HBOS. I am sure that many career criminals watched your pitch and have targeted the vulnerable who listened to each letter of your instruction. I on the other hand cannot sleep for thinking about the thousands of pensioners keeping thousands in their houses because your reports have frightened them to death. It would have been far more responsible for you to have recommended CHAPS or Draft withdrawals instead of cash. I cannot believe that you have put at risk those that you say you want to help. In this case you have been totally irresponsible

INSERT BY MARTIN:

Just before there's any confusion, i have replied later in the thread but think it is important to add my response up here. ...

"Hi.

I genuinely think you have me confusd with someone else. Could you let me know where you heard this said or written that you believe is me, as Im not aware I've either warned people to get their money out of HBOS or said take cash out - neither are things i agree with.

My stance has and always been "it is very unlikely the govt will allow any bank to go bust, but the safety net is £35,000 per person per institution and you can mitigate risk by spreading your savings." See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings

Martin"

Comments

• musicboy
    Options
    PM him then if you feel that strongly, there's a far better chance of him reading it.
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sarbil wrote: »
    Well Martin, I hope that you can sleep at night following your advice last week to get your cash out of HBOS. I am sure that many career criminals watched your pitch and have targeted the vulnerable who listened to each letter of your instruction. I on the other hand cannot sleep for thinking about the thousands of pensioners keeping thousands in their houses because your reports have frightened them to death. It would have been far more responsible for you to have recommended CHAPS or Draft withdrawals instead of cash. I cannot believe that you have put at risk those that you say you want to help. In this case you have been totally irresponsible

Not having read what Martin said I cannot confirm directly. However, I'm fairly sure he never told anyone to take cash out of savings and put it under their mattress! You have misread or misunderstood!
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    he offers free advice and guidance, its upto people if they follow it or not
  • welshnoonoo
    Options
    Sarbil wrote: »

Wow - you must have felt strongly - it only took you a week to react.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sarbil. I know I meant to be nice to all money savers and everything, but all in all, you're an idiot.
  • welshnoonoo
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Sarbil. I know I meant to be nice to all money savers and everything, but all in all, you're an idiot.

:rotfl: Don't beat about the bush Lokolo! Just get to the point! :T
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is this a troll? Look at his/her track record. You are all being too kind.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont think Martin has said anything that has not been repeated by much of the media.

Most sensible people know that the FSCS offers nothing other than a comfort blanket for the paranoid but when you are on TV and everything you say is subject to OFCOM and potential legal action then he has to say what he does.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ingram62
    Options
    Thats the problem its media hype that caused the demise of HBOS.

Elaine
  • brightonman123
    Options
    i did not see this, but I dont thonk taking (actual) cash out of any bank is a good idea.. easy enough to arrange a BACS transfer etc..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure