McAfee Spam filter has just stopped working!

Options
I had set McAfee to filter my e-mails and set it to high as in the extract from their Help facility, as shown below. I had set all my acceptable address as Friends.

It was all working fine. Still getting 40 odd Spam e-mails a day but they were going in to My McAfee anti spam folder and were easy to delete.

Last week I noticed a new trend. Messages came in and I deleted them straight away BUT I notice a few had created a message in my Outbox so I deleted these too. had not see this happen before but I may just not have noticed it.

A few minutes ago I logged on and saw 45 messages coming into my Outlook box. EEEEK! all but 13 came straight into my Inbox and not to the anti spam folder.

Went into McAfee and imported my Friends list again and checked that the filter level was still set to high ... it was.

Messages are still coming straight into my Inbox despite the fact that only those on my Friends list should come in due to the HIgh setting on the filter leve.

Can anyone help me please! I HATE SPAM!

From McAfee Site
Filtering level
The filtering level dictates how aggressively your e-mail is filtered. For example, if spam is not filtered and your filtering level is set to Medium, you can change it to Medium-High or High. However, if the filtering level is set to High, only e-mail messages from senders in your friends list are accepted: all others are filtered.
Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend

Comments

• aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like youve done everything you can with Mcafee
    Contact them direct. You pay for your service so send THEM an email (No point costing you money by phoning is it)
    :idea:
  • Muppet81
    Options
    Well, I contacted McAfee and have just spent some time linked to a "Go To Assist" online chat with a very nice person who was no help at all. Just told me everyhting I already knew/had done and then told me to re-install McAfee

I have and I have again set my filter to HIgh so only Friends should get through the Spam Filter but everyhting is getting through it. It is simply not working.

Annoyed as yesterday in the evening, I was told to re-start my PC for McAfee updates to install. I am convinced it was something in this that caused the problem but have no idea what to do now.

Any ideas? Please?
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Google Spambayes
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few ~
    Get rid of Mcafee ~ its dump. Then maybe use a free anti spam along with firewall and anti virus
    Set up a googlemail account ~ MOST things will be put into spam there to begin with and you can email all your friends your new address. Then when things 'slip through' you can set the filters to reject from there on in (Obviously being a new email address, it will be completely clean anyways)
    :idea:
  • Muppet81
    Options
    DKLS - would I have to remove all my McAfee security programmes before downloading the SpamBayes software. If so presumably I would have no anti virus protection then?

Sorry if I sound dim but a bit of a novice at all this and NOT computer literate. I am just someone who tires very hard to get to ggrips.
  • davesdell
    Options
    I'm feeling your pain. I am on goAssist again. The [SPAM] mail filter is not working for sure. Must have been in there last update. I am having a serious issue with my 12 year old daughter getting tips on how to enlarge her penis. If / When I get the solution, I will post for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure