PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

When money saving goes wrong…or how to clean my bag

Options
I made a big pan of soup earlier in the week and portioned it up into Asda smart price equivalent of tupperware and put it in the fridge. I would normally put it in the freezer but, being the money saving gal I am, both freezers were already FULL with half a lamb, half a pig and home made frozen dinners, etc.

When getting my soup out of the fridge this morning to take to work, I noticed the lid wasn’t sealed properly so just in case popped it into a freezer bag to avoid leakage.

When I got to work I delved into my bag to put my soup in the fridge, both the smart price plastic ware and freezer bag had sprung a leak and the tub was empty and my bag was full :( .

Now I have no lunch and a soupy bag, purse, umbrella, etc. :(

How can I clean my bag (fake leather with synthetic lining) & leave it smell free?
Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Assuming you don't want to eat your umbrella I'd wash that in the shower. If your purse is leather than a dry cleaners might be able to help with that. And I'd ask for a new handbag & some tight lidded tupperware for Christmas:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Can you turn the lining out from the bag. If so wash with washing liquid and dry.

Can you turn the whole bag inside out and sponge clean. Maybe.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good advice about cleaning the umbrella in the shower but I'm not sure about the bag. You could try sponge cleaning it and then put bicarbonate of soda in it and leave it there for a few hours to see if it gets rid of the smell and also baby oil on the leather to get rid of the smell and shine it up again. Other than that it might be time to treat yourself to a new bag :rolleyes:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    I've discovered this problem both with Asda Smartprice and the equivalent Tesco Value plasticware. I use the 1ltr food storage boxes, which cost about 50p, and find that they're great for the freezer, but the lids aren't reliable enough to put in my bag and carry around.

I'm afraid I'm now a convert to the expensive £2.49 ones with the clip-on lids and a blue rubber seal. Bought six of them and much prefer them, though they are a pain to clean, thanks to having to get the dishcloth/towel into all the cracks.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Not much help im afraid, but Matalan do similar containers to tupperware and they have the click lids and an average 2 portion size is about £2.50 and dont leak at all.

I had the same thing a few weeks ago with HM chilli-luckily it was in a carrier bag but still a pain in the bum.

PP
    x
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had sticky encounters with soup containers and handbags! :D I've yet to find a successful method for cleaning the handbag successfully - I think you're going to have to buy a new bag in the sales.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I put my soup in empty plastic bottles, you know if someone's been extravagant and bought a bottle of water while out! I go for wider necks if possible.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Newbird
    Newbird Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    You can also transport your soup, hot ready to eat or cold ready to microwave, in a vacuum flask.

These usually seal well, but don't throw it around if it has a glass liner (most newer ones are plastic.) I have a wide neck one specifically for soup, great for 'chunky' soup, or soup with croutons etc... mine is old now but maybe you can still get them.

Could be useful in the car if you're travelling and get stuck in the SNOW that is on the way! Yes...I'm starting to beleive the forecast now, having seen some yesterday. :D
    Bless Martin's Little Cotton Socks. I thank him for giving us MSE. Look what its grown into!

MFW = ASAP #124
  • profpatpending
    Options
    If you think the bag's ruined anyway, you've nothing to lose by putting it in the washing machine on as gentle a wash as possible. I've just done this with a bag of mine (although this was suede, not leather) and it came out fine. If the leather is soft enough could you turn it inside out first?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Penny-Wise wrote:
    I made a big pan of soup earlier in the week and portioned it up into Asda smart price equivalent of tupperware and put it in the fridge. I would normally put it in the freezer but, being the money saving gal I am, both freezers were already FULL with half a lamb, half a pig and home made frozen dinners, etc.

When getting my soup out of the fridge this morning to take to work, I noticed the lid wasn’t sealed properly so just in case popped it into a freezer bag to avoid leakage.

When I got to work I delved into my bag to put my soup in the fridge, both the smart price plastic ware and freezer bag had sprung a leak and the tub was empty and my bag was full :( .

Now I have no lunch and a soupy bag, purse, umbrella, etc. :(

How can I clean my bag (fake leather with synthetic lining) & leave it smell free?

My slightly richer daughter bought a couple of Sainsburys soups in 1 litre screw-top wide-neck bottles.She knew I was making Leek & potato soup ,(my speciality) and after having consumed the contents, gave the bottles to me. They are brilliant as the tops screw really tightly. I now make 2 litres at a time and she has one to take to work with her, and I stick to other in the freezer.
    She says my soup is far superior to Sainsburys (she knows which side her soup is slurped on )
    I think they are about £1.00 a bottle to buy initially but two or three of those would be worth it in the long run.
    The only problem I have is after cooking the soup, the house smells of leeks for ages
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure