Child benefit problems.

Options
I've spent the best part of a month trying to get through to the C. Ben hotline :mad: to reclaim for my DD (18) who has gone back to full time college.
I filled in the online form with all the details but have had no confirmation email, nothing at all.
If I should ever manage to get in contact with them, will it be backdated to September 1st?
I've had no such hassle with tax credits, it was sorted right away and I've already been paid for this month.

Comments

• yes it will be backdated to sept 1st,i`m surprised youve had so many problems contacting them,could be that alot of people were trying to do as you were
  • elfmay
    elfmay Posts: 18,716 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having the same problem OP! :mad: It's costing me a fortune dialling their number umpteen times a day only to be told they are unable to deal with me as currently experiencing a high volume of calls!!!! Everytime I hear that stoopid woman saying 'You are advised we may record your call for quality & training purposes' I find myself shouting 'you have to $%%$^*"@ answer it first ya stupid b!tch!!!' :o :rotfl:

I'm sick of emailing them too. I get receipts but they just say we will contact you in the next 10 days or 20 if really busy! :rolleyes:

Seriously peeing me off now though, they are going to end up owing me a fortune soon! Is there no other number to contact them on? I really do think someone has left the phone off the hook at the CB office! Either that or they only have 1 person working there and she/he is on a 6 week holiday! :rolleyes:

Oh and yes OP, just to confirm the will backdate it.
    I need someone really bad! Are you really bad?
  • Try calling the alternative number on saynoto0870.com - 0161 2103086.

Using the landline means you will usually get through a bit easier.

elfmay, do you know that even when on hold your call is recorded?
    Everything you say is recorded as soon as you hear the warning - loads of benefit fraudsters are caught out this way!!
  • twoheadedboy
    Options
    Child Benefit Helpline is extremely busy at the minute due to the Full Time Education peak, probably will be for a couple more weeks.

A little tip, try calling at about 07:45, there will usually be a few advisors already logged-on to take calls and because the advertised opening time is 08:00 there will be little (if any) queue.

Also, anyone calling to give education details, make sure you have the full details on you as you may be asked to call back (and face the queues again) if you don't have them all.
    You'll need:
    Full name of course (not just the subject but actual qualification, eg. Alevels, BTEC National Diploma, etc.)
    Name and address of school/college
    When the course started and when it's due to finish
    If the course is full-time (over 12 hours supervised study per week)
    Details of any payments received by the child as a result of doing the course (apart from EMA and ALG)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure