We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help needed

Options
I am a widow currently getting widowed parents allowance. I work and get working tax credits and child tax credits, I have a single occupancy on my council tax. the thing is I have met someone who I am getting quite close to but I am afraid as to how this is going to affect me financially if we get to the point where he moves in. Can anyone please advise me. It sounds awful I know but with 2 kids/teenagers to support and a 4 bed house I dont want to cripple my finances. I rely on my benefits to live and its very difficult to ask a new man to support 2 children who arnt his own.

Comments

• bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure about the widowed parents allowance but, yes, you'd lose the single occupancy rate.

The rest would depend entirely on how much your new partner earns.

Don't forget he will presumably give up his own home if he comes to yours and as such will have the income he currently pays to keep his own house? You will still have your wage, chb, and at least the the basic element of ctc, so it is not as though you are going to be a totally dependent partner is it?

Personally, I feel both partners are aware of the situation before they move in and so should either accept there are children to consider, or forget moving in! I find it odd that people feel they are committed enough to move a person into theirs (and more to the point, their childrens) home and yet do not feel they can broach the subject of finances! :confused: But then, you are not alone - this crops up often.

Why not have a chat with him and see how he feels about this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure