We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

think ive paid to much tax

Options
Hello,

for the year 2007-2008 tax year.

I was out of work till september when i began work part time till january. and then was out of work till march when started new job

the total i earned was just under 3800, A mate says im due a refund of the tax is that right ?

I have a self assesment to fill out due to the fact, I setup a ltd company but we didnt trade so have been issued one
Wannabe DFW NERD: Not fully fledged member yet !
HSBC Bank Charges Reclaim In Progress Total: £1462.56
HSBC CC Reclaim Total: £180.00 PAID IN FULL :D

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on how much JSA you received as that's also taxable income so if you received £3000 in JSA, had £3800 in income and paid a total of roughly £350 in income tax, you've paid the correct amount.
  • jakemuk
    Options
    Received no JSA in that period, as was living at home
  • meadowcat
    Options
    As far as I know the tax code for 07/08 was 522L which means that you were allowed to earn £5220 or thereabouts before paying tax. If you were on an emergency code - week/month 1 - then you may have paid tax even though you earned less than £5220.

Send photocopies of any P45s you have for the year together with a photocopy of your P60 to your tax office asking for a refund.

I've no idea how your self assessment will affect this. Maybe they will want a nil return for this before they repay.
  • jakemuk
    jakemuk Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    so as ive earned under the tax free ammount for tax year. what refund am i entitled to if any ?
  • meadowcat
    Options
    Did you pay any tax? If so you will get it all back if you earned less than £5220. But obviously you cannot get a refund of tax unless you have paid it in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure