I prefer rental.
    Happy chappy
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i cant vote as none of the options fit me which is
    i wouldnt buy it cos i prolly have already downloaded it
    if i didnt download it then i wouldnt have seen it so its not like im *stealing* from someone
    some stuff thats been downloaded i will buy whether it be films, music tv boxsets , i go to the cinema occasionally
    i will admit tv shows are the main thing i download these days, and thats 99% down to timeshifting - ok most of the stuff is from the US that we would get eventually all that im missing out on is the ads (which would get fast forwarded here anyway after recording the program)
    in this day and age all i want is to watch stuff when I want not when the tv networks here decide they are going to show import stuff, why should we wait 6-8 months to get stuff over here..........i have to applaud sky (you dont here me saying that often) for showing stuff like lost, prison break pretty much straight away after its been shown in the US, however i dont get sky 1 (virgin customer here) but if i did then it prolly wouldnt be downloaded

went slightly off tangent there
  • Dorrie
    Dorrie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I voted A. Considered B, but the chances of my actually knowing the criminal selling the DVDs would probably be very slight, not to mention finding a policeman around to deal with it (and our local police station is a part-time one, so would probably be shut).

I don't deliberately break the law, which buying these DVDs is, and find it amazing that people are so happy to do so!
  • gazzery
    Options
    Perhaps the same question should be posed to the biggest knock off Nigels/Nigellas such as Microsoft, Sony and Warner Brothers etc. They are more than happy to rip us off by charging us double for their software, music and movies just because we live in the UK.
    I believe some years ago Some of the big Nigels/Nigellas actually dropped their prices in countries where piracy was rife. eg Russia. Guess what? It increased sales. So no, I don't feel guilty about stealing from them because they have made billions of pounds doing it to us.
    As it happens I now buy music/films/software from the internet sourced from all over the world at reasonable prices.
  • Cinders2001
    Options
    My answer is ...... B

I have done it!
    There was a dvd that is only available as an illegal copy (someone I dont know offered it to me). I reported it.

I really wanted it too as my uncle is in the film.....and our old car!
    It's called "The Jokers" with Michael Crawford and Oliver Reed.

But I didn't buy it.....i'll just have to wait until one day they bring it out for real.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    No "I don't buy DVD's" option? :rolleyes:
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Option A.

If it was an organisation duping people into obtaining what they think is legitimate software, multimedia, dvd's, music then I'd have no qualms in reporting it to trading standards.
  • chris_weeto
    Options
    My answer is a mixture of all of the above.

I don't buy them, but have borrowed them off mates etc. Don't buy them because of the quality but if a mate says he has got a good quality one then i'll borrow it, watch it and return it to him. I haven't downloaded films but may now do so!

These adverts are ridiculous - all we hear is about how prices of cinemas/dvds have to increase to combat piracy - rubbish! The price increases are driving people away from the cinema/retailers to watch/buy dvds to pirate copies instead as they save a hell of a lot of money!

In the last 5-10 years cinema prices have probably more then doubled and piracy has probably increased massively during this period! Is it just a coincidence that piracy is now at an all time high with cinema prices also being higher than ever - i think not!! If prices were to decrease then i think people would happily visit the cinema more often.

I have to say i think piracy is probably more rife than ever as people are confused with all of the newer technology that keeps coming out. DVDs, HD dvds, Blu-ray - people don't know what's happening so why spend loads of money for something that you may not be able to view in a few years time?

Anyway rant over!!

I don't buy them but am not adverse to watching them!
  • hbl_2
    hbl_2 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    My main concern is not about the legality of the copied discs, nor legality of buying the copied discs - my main worry with people buying pirate DVDs off street vendors etc is what social ills the money fed into the system is directly propping up. It's not just an individual selling the DVDs, it often the entry point for a criminal gang or network, and they have other interests besides putting Shrek 3 in your hands.

Buying a legit DVD from a store, or even unlawfully downloading films does not and can not put a gun into the hands of a child, or participate in drug trafficking, racketeering, money laundering, and everyone's favourite buzzword, terrorism.

There's enough evil in the world without directly contributing to it in cash.
    Student Loan Company Ltd: 17,805 (2.8%) Overdraft: 500 (Interest free)
    Savings: £5,100
    - Target by end of 2008 £5,000+
    Net Worth
    1/7/06: -£32,698 -- Net Worth 25/8/08: -£13,350.
  • bilpit
    bilpit Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't buy from a street vendor for many reasons including quality, where the money goes etc..

But I do, and will continue to download movies.

To visit a cinema from where I live involves a 50+ mile round trip, horrendous disabled seating (front bottom left of the screen, plus guaranteed neckache), overpriced seating and refreshments, £5+ for parking, and a cinema full of teenagers on their mobile phones.... (Oh my God, Im turning into Victor Meldrew)

However, if I download a movie I like, I go straight to Play.com and preorder a legit copy so I can watch it in the comfort of my own home with surround sound and nobody munching popcorn...

So if I like a movie I pay for it...

Being a carer I'm on a limited income, so why should I pay a fortune to watch the rubbish being churned out in the name of entertainment ?

And as for those Twix wrappers in the front garden..... I DON'T BELEEEEIVE IT !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure