We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

self-employed but the nature of work changed

Options
Hi all,

Hope someone can shed a light on this.. I have been self-employed for nearly a year. yet I have been thinking of doing a completely different type of work recently. Is it classified as change in circumstances? Do I just stop being self-employed and re-apply again or simply call them and tell them that the nature of work changed and present them with the new projected income for the next year? How do I go about this?

Thank you to all x

Comments

• I assume you are talking about tax credits?

If so, you dont need to tell them what you do as long as you are noted as being S/E and they have you down as doing the correct number of hours. If your income is going to change you can give them a new estimated earnings figure.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    This is easier to do if you change your trading name, even if its only slightly.
    You need to inform HMRC if you change the main type of business you do. All you need to do is ring the Self Employed helpline and tell them.
    You also need to close the books on the "old company" as it were and start up a set for the new company. On the next self assessment form, you'll need to fill in two sets - one for each "business".

There is no need to inform WTC unless as stated above, your income changes considerably.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure