We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Exam Certificates

Options
2»

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CGG wrote: »
    I've been brushing up on my skills.
    Tonight I'm taking my Level 2 Literacy test. Wish me luck!

Only just found your post. Hope it went well.

Was it one where you get the result straight away from the computer or will you have to wait?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,376 Forumite
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    After 20 years, you should be judged on your skills for the job in question, not your exam results. Reminds me of a very old story where someone applied to the Civil Service with a degree. The recruiter asked him what O levels he had - when the guy pointed out he had a degree, the recruiter said it didnt matter about that - what O levels did he have!

This actually happened to my cousin. He had just graduated and signed on, and there was a job going in the dole office. So he joined the Civil Service.

A few weeks later, someone there remembered that he had said he had a degree, and advised him to get shunted up to the 'executive' grade. He actually did well there for a good few years.
  • 3plus1
    3plus1 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    Whether or not you are required to give proof of your exam certificates will very much depend on the job you apply for. I would guess with most jobs, your most basic certs (GSCE, Standard Grade, etc) won't need verification.

However, I work in accountancy, and there were very strict academic criteria to land the job I did. I had to bring in my original school certificates and university degree when I started - which resulted in major panic and stress for me, because my university hadn't sent me my degree when I started my job! (It doesn't tend to issue degress until many many months after you graduate - not sure why.)

If you apply for a job where you are expected to do professional training, the exam body might have its own academic requirements for admission, which is why your school education results will be relevant. If however, you're going into a job where the training you will be required to do is very much on the job, informal stuff, I can't imagine your employer needing proof of a poxy exam you sat decades ago.

Most people will take your word for it... or only ask for proof of your highest cert (e.g. college/uni).
  • bibi_neko
    Options
    I too thought that employers wouldn't want your secondary education if you managed to go through college and university which I'm guessing should prove your command at English.

As for University transcripts if you need them earlier then you can try your Uni student administration to print them out for you and explain you need them for interviews etc. Although i'm not sure about University of London transcripts if they're handled by the University you attend or by the UoL who printed the certificates for us and I'm still waiting for my transcripts when they said we'll receive them by Sept. :(
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    In some careers like teaching and social work, certain O levels/GCSEs are a statutory requirement, even for someone with a PHD.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Bismarck wrote: »
    I was asked for a council job....fortunately I had it so didn't need to ask what alternatives I could provide..have subsequent qualifications though and don't feel that O-level results are a real indicator of future employability....

I had to produce my certificates & also my passport as a condition of my confirmation of employment when I joined our local council....my GCEs are 18 years old.....
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Options
    In some careers like teaching and social work, certain O levels/GCSEs are a statutory requirement, even for someone with a PHD.

I have found that the L2 Adult Certificates in Numeracy and Literacy do seem to be acceptable because they are considered to be at the same level (although not fully equivalent qualifications).

I tested this out a couple of years ago in doing a Cert Ed for FE teaching and believe it would be the same for teaching children too (but I'm open to being corrected!).
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    I have found that the L2 Adult Certificates in Numeracy and Literacy do seem to be acceptable because they are considered to be at the same level (although not fully equivalent qualifications).

I tested this out a couple of years ago in doing a Cert Ed for FE teaching and believe it would be the same for teaching children too (but I'm open to being corrected!).

It's not a legal requirement to have specific GCSEs to teach in FE as the Cert Ed doesn't give you QTS . (I have the same qualification). I used to recommend the C&G Num and Lit but not everwhere will accept them now.
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    CGG wrote: »
    I've been brushing up on my skills.
    Tonight I'm taking my Level 2 Literacy test. Wish me luck!

I passed it and have my certificate. Now awaiting the date for my Level 2 Numeracy test.
  • Sazzyukrafc
    Options
    I have GCSEs, A-Levels and Degree, as well as NCTJ certifcates, and have never been asked to provide proof of qualifications for jobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport