Exam Certificates

Options
You will have to excuse me but can I ask a question? It has been something like 20 years since I have had to look for another Job so I am a bit green about the whole thing. All I need to know will I be asked for my English O level certificate which I gained in 1987? I cannot find it anywhere and since then I have received another 3 level 2 NVQ's along with doing quite a responsible job that required a good level of English so I cannot see that it is that relevant but I like to be prepared :confused:
The World come on.....

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I've not been asked for my O level certificates since my early 20's. I did my O levels the same year as you did. A good job really as the Army lost them and it'll cost a few quid to get copies.
  • LittleVoice
    Options
    If an employer does want a piece of paper to confirm that your English is at a level equivalent to 'O' level, then you could quickly get a Certificate of Adult Literacy at Level 2. This is the same level as GCSE A*-C (= GCE 'O'level). It is not the equivalent qualification but is the equivalent level of competence. And you can get this at no cost to yourself.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone being asked for proof of their pre-16 education. I think most can tell pretty quickly from a written application.

But, just to let you know (piece of mind or whatever), you can get copies from the exam board, but they aren't cheap - around £20 per certificate if I remember rightly.

You just need to know the exam board your old school used at that time so you can contact them and request a copy.

So basically, you can relax, because you are extremely unlikely to be asked for them, but if by some fluke you are, you know you can get them.
  • Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    I was asked for a council job....fortunately I had it so didn't need to ask what alternatives I could provide..have subsequent qualifications though and don't feel that O-level results are a real indicator of future employability....
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was also asked for exam certificates a couple of years ago - for a job in a College. I took my O Levels in 1985 (crikey, giving my age away now :D ) but luckily I do have all my certificates from back then.

They are just something I have never considered throwing out, even if I don't need them for employment, I think it is nice to keep them. I'm the kind of saddo who also has my old school reports :p
    :p
  • Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    ~Beanie~ wrote: »
    I was also asked for exam certificates a couple of years ago - for a job in a College. I took my O Levels in 1985 (crikey, giving my age away now :D ) but luckily I do have all my certificates from back then.

They are just something I have never considered throwing out, even if I don't need them for employment, I think it is nice to keep them. I'm the kind of saddo who also has my old school reports :p

I think saying O levels gives it away to a point!

Had my school reports for years but they kind of vanished...if you move it often enough, stuff disappears....unless it's the kids..in which case it's when they don't move it, stuff disappears....for good...;)...
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    After 20 years, you should be judged on your skills for the job in question, not your exam results. Reminds me of a very old story where someone applied to the Civil Service with a degree. The recruiter asked him what O levels he had - when the guy pointed out he had a degree, the recruiter said it didnt matter about that - what O levels did he have!
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Many employers now use agencies to check qualifications - I think the Agency can do a search on the Examining Boards' databases. There's only a problem if you claim to have an O-Level and it doesn't show on the search.

It is potty having to produce certificates. Mine are dated 1977 and I had to show them for this job I do, which I started 3 years ago. Funny thing is, I'd been working for the company for a year as a contractor!!!!!

Bloomin' checklists - ticking boxes has replaced common sense :mad:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Mr_Falling_Star
    Options
    Thanks for this, I think common sense says not to bother worrying but I will find out how to replace them just in case
    The World come on.....
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    I've been brushing up on my skills.
    Tonight I'm taking my Level 2 Literacy test. Wish me luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure