PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Countrywide Property Lawyers - are they as bad as I've read?

Options
Hi all,

First time buyer, our estate agent (Bairstow Eves) has pushed us into using Countrywide Property Lawyers, which to be honest sounded perfectly okay to me.

However, I know these kind of companies have so much volume going through that they quickly build huge amounts of negative reviews on sites like:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Countrywide_Property_Lawyers__5658256

Is this right? Are we really likely to suffer with this firm?

Thanks all,

Russ

Comments

• Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    I have to deal with them on a fairly regular basis, nightmare each time. You never get to speak to the same person twice, sometimes you get the name of the solicitor dealing with the case but usually its red team or yellow team or something along those lines.
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried to buy from someone using them. The experience was so bad that Mrs I and I decided that we would not buy from anyone who used them.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can you not use your own choice of lawyers? i have heard dreadful things too.
  • charliechin
    Options
    It sounds like this company is a problem - as a clincher, how do the following costs weigh up, does anything here stand out as totally unreasonable?

Standard Costs
    Legal fees for conveyance - £549 + £98 VAT
    Preparation of Stamp Duty Land Transaction Return - £85 + £15 VAT
    Fees in respect of carrying out money laundering check - £30 + £5 VAT
    Fee to maintain archive of documents - £25 + £4 VAT
    Total = £811

Additional Costs
    Legal fees for acting as your lender - £125 + £22 VAT
    Charge for each CHAPS payment - £40 + £7 VAT
    Local Authority & Home Check Search and Locality Search charges - £150
    HM Land Registry Charges - £150
    Total = £494

Grand Total = £1305
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forget it. The agent get a massive cut. They are thinking of themselves, not you. Pick a good local lawyer.
  • charliechin
    Options
    Many thanks for the help so far guys,

The next question therefore must be, how do we find a solicitor / conveyancer that we can trust in our area? I must admit, the more I think about having to deal with a call centre the more woried I am! (I actually work as a helpdesk manager myself!)

Russ
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    We found them quite good, when they had something to work with. Obviously there was nothing much they could do about our vendor's local lawyer going off sick, losing documents, and generally moving as slowly as possible. When you phone you will get the office lackey, but do you really want a lawyer answering petty queries all day?
    Been away for a while.
  • charliechin
    Options
    What are the pros-and-cons of contacting the selling solicitors to ask what firm they would rather we use? After all, they're the firm who will have to work closely with our solicitors.

Russ
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will not engage with you on that question - or should not. Phone a few and get quotes. Get a feel for how they come across.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • charliechin
    Options
    Hi all,

Just had a quick chat with our financial advisor, who I should mention works for Countrywide Something-or-other (Countrwide Mortgage Services I think). He's of course tried to steer us into using Countrywide Property Lawyers as our conveyencers, but to be fair he's also made it clear that it's dead easy for us to go with any other company we like.

One issue he did raise - if there are any problems, we can contact him and he can go to the conveyencer directly to pressure them. But surely if we get a local conveyencer, we'd be in as good a position to do this ourselves?

We're currently looking at one of four local firms, does anyone know anything about these?

1. Dickson Haslam
    2. Forbes
    3. Napthens
    4. Vincents Laverys

Russ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts