We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dodgy wording in a will ?

Options

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bump bump.
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    So does that mean you're still stuck three months later? I'm off to get my will checked.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • John_Pierpoint
    edited 31 March 2010 at 7:50PM
    Options
  • John_Pierpoint
    edited 11 January 2011 at 1:16AM
    Options
    The estate is still open because the income tax people at HMRC don't understand the concept of a Qualifying Time Deposit.
    [Nor do Barclays bank which rolled it over into a new contract when they should not have done so]

Poor Mr Dog must be spinning in his grave.

Just think Income Tax - never mind all the subsequent taxes - was introduced as a temporary measure.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just as an aside, i saw a trailer for a Tv programme which is on this Friday (not sure which channel), which is all about the need to make a Will and common mistakes. It may be worth a watch, may even answer the problem the Op has.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • John_Pierpoint
    edited 11 January 2011 at 12:21PM
    Options
    BBC2 @ 21:00 (Presented by Gerry Robinson, who has proved to be one of the better retired CEO's now acting as a consultant.
    (Though I wonder what happened to that hospital he investigated, where the operating theatre was being run for the benefit of the surgeons not the patients or the tax payers? Come on you cannot attack POETS day for the wealthy upper crust with a good union!!).
    http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-details/BBC+2/14+January+2011/21%3A00/Can%27t+Take+it+with+You/Business%20and%20Finance/

I notice that the first episode is about leaving money to charity.
    This is something that will add to the complexity of administering the will, if IHT is involved, because the executor will have an extra beneficiary, probably represented by a solicitor with his own agenda.
    If the estate is not paying IHT, the charity might be better off with payments out of income and thus able to reclaim the income tax.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He also made some good programmes about care homes. I'm sure the one on wills will be well worth watching.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    bump (just to keep the link alive so I can quote it).

Just for the record I got a free opinion from a recently pleased-to-be- retired solicitor (a customer of mine) who agreed about the partially intestate part and observed ".....it happens frequently, this is the sort of hassle I'm so pleased to get away from, that causes feuds within families"
    I think by that he meant he got consulted by a feuding member of a family, because the intestacy rules have caused a result that was pretty obviously what the testator did NOT want.

I then consulted a STEP solicitor (who told me what we have already agreed on here) and cost me together with the other beneficiaries, a modest 3 figure sum to send me a letter specifying who now got what from the will.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    bump bump bump (I will add the final account to this saga in the near future.
  • alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking forward to reading that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income