Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• Coinmachine
    Coinmachine Posts: 225 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2016 at 2:13PM
    Options
    I made my first offer of settlement £300 to Santander, the balance is currently £1239. They have not dismissed it out of hand but have written back asking for details of income and expenditure and that I have not made an offer to any other lenders. They also asked to confirm if my existing payment would continue should the offer not be accepted.

What do you think my chances are? DMP has 6 years to run.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! They have accepted my £300 offer for full and final settlement:j
    I'm a greenfield sight for sore eyes, and sore eyes are just needing the light, the shapes, and the shadows of the space we share, before it splits into Thin Air.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you fatbelly.

Do you know how successful write-off requests are please?

I would love to be able to pay off all my debts but realistically....I did not know I was going to get ill and not be able to work again when I got into debt and the idea of it hanging over us for probably the rest of our lives unless we come into money depresses me.
    I think I will look into this, although knowing they probably won't do it. I will look at your link about settlements and take some hope from that, although I know that is going to be another difficulty trying to raise the money. Many thanks

Some people have had great success in getting debts written off.

You really have to write and explain your situation, include as much detail as possible, they can't take what you don't have can they.

Debts do not hang around for ever, after 6 years of non payment, the limitations act would come into play.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DrWatson1
    Options
    So nearly 3 weeks ago I CCA'd my creditors, and so far I've had 3 responses. Two have contacted the original creditor asking for this information.

However, one of them (Westcot) has sent my letter and PO back asking me to contact the original creditor directly (RBoS).

Surely if they are the ones managing the debt, the onus is on them to chase this up, as the other creditors have?

What's my next move? I'm of a mind to write back and tell them if they don't obtain the information, then i'll consider this a refusal to provide it and I'll act accordingly.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Dr Watson

It sounds as if Wescot are not as motivated about recovering the money as other creditors. If they themselves had a copy of the CCA agreement it would be in their interests to share it with you. What information (if any) RBoS still have remains to be seen but they would normally pass any relevant paperwork on when reassigning the account to a debt collector. Wescot would also normally inherit any responsibilities from the original creditor to comply with requests for information, so this does sound like a case of buck-passing to me.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! They have accepted my £300 offer for full and final settlement:j

24% - well done

an encouragement to others
  • DrWatson1
    Options
    Hi Dr Watson

It sounds as if Wescot are not as motivated about recovering the money as other creditors. If they themselves had a copy of the CCA agreement it would be in their interests to share it with you. What information (if any) RBoS still have remains to be seen but they would normally pass any relevant paperwork on when reassigning the account to a debt collector. Wescot would also normally inherit any responsibilities from the original creditor to comply with requests for information, so this does sound like a case of buck-passing to me.

Dennis
    @natdebtline

Okay, thanks - would you suggest writing back to them and stating if they do not provide the information, then I'll proceed as if they are unable or unwilling to provide it?
  • anna_1977
    Options

I've got 2 santander debts that I am in a position to offer F&F to in the next couple of months.

Great to hear they might be open to a settlement :)
  • Coinmachine
    Options
    anna_1977 wrote: »
    I've got 2 santander debts that I am in a position to offer F&F to in the next couple of months.

Great to hear they might be open to a settlement :)

Good luck hope it works out for you, if you want a copy of what I sent feel free to PM me
    I'm a greenfield sight for sore eyes, and sore eyes are just needing the light, the shapes, and the shadows of the space we share, before it splits into Thin Air.
  • snowbean
    snowbean Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DrWatson1 wrote: »
    So nearly 3 weeks ago I CCA'd my creditors, and so far I've had 3 responses. Two have contacted the original creditor asking for this information.

However, one of them (Westcot) has sent my letter and PO back asking me to contact the original creditor directly (RBoS).

Surely if they are the ones managing the debt, the onus is on them to chase this up, as the other creditors have?

What's my next move? I'm of a mind to write back and tell them if they don't obtain the information, then i'll consider this a refusal to provide it and I'll act accordingly.

Oddly enough, I just came on to ask the same question. I received a reply like this from Wescot today, regarding a nw card. I think they are only 'acting on behalf of' NW, but even so, I would have thought that would entail replying to cca requests?!

The other cca request I sent, was to PRA (regarding BC debt). They've replied saying they're asking the original creditor for details (but have stated the original creditor as mbna). How long do they have to get back to me now? On the same day, I also received a reply declining my 20% offer, and counter-offering me 80%.
  • Daisypop
    Options
    Hi all
    Sent off 4 cca requests, got one back from Cabot which was original signed agreement so no joy there. However received a reply from Link financial saying have requested from original creditor and could take up to 30 days to get but 30 days was up on 30 August. What do I do with this one?

The other 2 are with 1st credit who have said the same that need to request from original creditors but could take several weeks. This was at the end of July. They have said they will suspend collection until they have those.
    So do I just not pay those 3 as I'm with Stepchange until they send the required information? Is it likely that they cannot retrieve it as I thought I would have had a response by now?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure