Advice please?

Options
Is there anyone on here who can give me some advice?

Went to GP yesterday with chronic hip pain. She was surprised at how little movement i have , suspects its osteo arthritis and has ordered x rays. She has prescribed me Co-Codamol and Naproxen.

As a single parent of 1, and recently having had to claim for IS and HB, she believes i may be able to get some help.

Anyone have any advice or ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    How long have you been diagnosed with the condition?

You may be eligible for Disability living allowance dependant on your mobility and care needs. To be able to claim DLA you need to have had the condition for more than three months.

If you decide to claim it, you should seek help from the CAB for help with form filling because it is very daunting and a long form to fill out. There is a time limit to get the form returned and you should take notice of the date on front of the form which states the latest it needs to be returned.
  • stargazer59
    Options
    I was only seen yesterday but Gp says it shouldnt be this bad at my age, i explained to her that the pain has gradually got worse over the last 6 months or so, im not one for going to GPs and havent been to one for 5 years, im used to being fit and healthy not limping and taking twice as long as i used to to get anywhere! I have to walk my son to school each day 1.5 miles, then back(uphill) then the return journey in the afternoon. Im only 48 and suddenly feel ancient!
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    You also havw to have had the disability for a minimum of 3 months and to be able to predict it will continue for at least 6 months.As alwaysonthego said,you really do need to get help completing the form as it is very longwinded and discusses time taken to do things-you have to demonstrate a significant difference to someone without your problems. Not trying to put you off-just emphasising the need to get advice.

Plus google support groups for osteo-arthritis-often groups have a lot of info on filling out the form for your particular problems.I used Cerebra and The autistic associations guides to help me fill out my son's form and it helped enormously,obviously they are not suitable for you but the help is out there.

Forgot to say-try not to exaggerate as it can really go against you,at the same time give a range of incapacity-your good and bad days.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • stargazer59
    Options
    Thanks for that information, i wasnt actually expecting to claim anything just thought there might be help and advice .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure