How will my foreign partner moving in effect my CTC claim?

Options
I am currently working and receiving CTC. However I am due my second child next May. My Partner is South African and is applying to move over early next year as my Fiance and will not be allowed to work. Will I then have to apply jointly for CTC and how is it effected if he is foreign as I understand he is not allowed to claim benefits. So should I still claim as a single person, otherwise my CTC may stop at the time when normally it should increase as my pay will reduce to SMP only. Can anyone advise on how my claim will be effected?

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    You're not a single person and your circumstances will have changed so you need to notify everyone.
  • caleo
    caleo Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Your tax credit claim will have to be changed to a joint claim when your fiance arrives in the UK. You can also let them know of your change in income regarding you SMP which will hopefully increase your tax credits. My husband is Canadain and was not entitled to public funds, but CTC was not a problem.

We had to get a National Insurance number for him for the CTC joint claim, he was on a spouse visa though, which entitled him to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure