whats my position with benefits and university

Options
Hello im after some advice please, ive just recovered from cancer last year and ive decided to go to uni. im 32 and in reciept of dla lower rate, housing benefit and income support with high incapacity rate if thats right, ive 2 children aged 5 and 8 who live with there mother we split last year after 14 years together cancer does funny things! i dont know if this makes a diffrence but thought it was best to add it, ive 2 dependants is the short story but they dont live with me, ive been offered a full time place in plymouth uni but im worried, my grants will just about cover my rent if all my benefits are stoped which means i will have to work to eat and get enough money enjoy quality days out my kids etc as i dont get any benefits for them, im abit worried and a bit stressedl , im not sure how my grants affect my benefits.help please. thanks:mad:

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    kimokenny wrote: »
    Hello im after some advice please, ive just recovered from cancer last year and ive decided to go to uni. im 32 and in reciept of dla lower rate, housing benefit and income support with high incapacity rate if thats right, ive 2 children aged 5 and 8 who live with there mother we split last year after 14 years together cancer does funny things! i dont know if this makes a diffrence but thought it was best to add it, ive 2 dependants is the short story but they dont live with me, ive been offered a full time place in plymouth uni but im worried, my grants will just about cover my rent if all my benefits are stoped which means i will have to work to eat and get enough money enjoy quality days out my kids etc as i dont get any benefits for them, im abit worried and a bit stressedl , im not sure how my grants affect my benefits.help please. thanks:mad:

As a disabled student you can carry on claiming benefits but your student loan and maintenance grant will be counted as income, although they won't affect your DLA. You should end up in pretty much the same financial situation as on benefits, although accruing debt through your student loan. Good luck.
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Don't have any advice re benefits but just wanted to say good luck and I hope you health continues to improve.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • kimokenny
    Options
    :beer: thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills