🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

tax credits bit complicated

Options
i had a over payment, made to me about 3 years ago im still paying it off, august i threw my partner out so i went back onto benefits. ie working and child,... this lasted 3 weeks i rang and told of change of circumstances, so tax credits stopped again..............as the date partner moved back in i re applied filled in all the forms again......... i put the data as his earnings as last years, as on p 60 and the same data i put on 08 to 09 details...............today i cheked online banking they have made me a few payments of a few hundred pound. i know this is wrong..........i cant believe this has happend again......it cant be my fault as i gave them right details........any help anyone.........:confused:
i will be debt free, i will

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    I would stick it in a high interest savings account and do not spend it. Maybe you could ring up again and double check what they have down for your income.
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    yeah i will do that, thanx will do that, im goin to get to back on the phone to them asap, and wait for the paperwork to come thru...
  • The new claims you have made are treated seperately from the old claims.

You will be expected to make direct payments towards the overpayment.

It is not possibly to recover an overpayment in an old claim, from the payments that are being made in a new claim - even if the circumstrances and all other personal details are the same.
  • skintas_2
    Options
    i owe over £1,700 and every year for the last 3 they have never made a payment as i owe, all im entitled to a year is the £534, or whatever it is this has been the same for the last 3 years, so whats the change...
  • skintas_2
    Options
    all the details are the same as year before and year before, except with some of the figues, due to over time etc, i cant see how ive filled the form out wrong when i have done it many times...........they have obviously made a mistake....like i told them before when they awared me over £3,00 to much i told them, they said they had it down as spent, when i tried to give it back to them... thats why i never get nothing
  • See Post 4!
  • skintas_2
    Options
    i phoned them they had me down as on income support, part and to receive tax credits,...i said ive put a joint claim in, i was on income support back with partner,..............surely if they see i was on is and with partner earning over £30,000 a year thats a fraud! now i finally got it thru to them they have over paid me, and im stuck on the overpayments line..........
  • It is possible that you could have earned £30k last year and this year you are receiving IS.

The system has only processed the information it was provided with.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When a paper claim is received it is scanned by computer (that's why you have to put the details in little boxes) and the computer calculates how much you are entitled to based on the writen information provided by the claimant on the form. No-one physically sits and checks/compares that new claim against previous claims to ensure everything is correct. The compliance section might pick anything that looks like fraud later but not before incorrect payments have been received by the claimant.

This supposedly saves on staff however extra staff are needed to correct the mistakes later which arise due to things like illegible writing on the form.

To give you an example - numerous foreign workers are claiming tax credits and they write their 1's and 7's differently to us in the UK and that causes endless problems including payments being sent to the wrong bank account because the computer can't read the form correctly.
  • banana1975
    Options
    I have just applied this week for Tax Credits. Have not claimed for a bit as I was too overpaid and I am paying them back via Direct payments (nearly there now!)
    My question is when they look at the new claim which is a joint claim (previous was a single claim) will they then use this to pay the money that I owe them?
    As I said it is nearly paid off now and I would not mind if they wanted to use this money but would like to know.

If anyone can help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family