Expert Help Needed

Options
Very complicated - on behalf of my mate

who has a Son who has CP and is severely disabled, recently got a £1 million compensation claim paid - into the court of protection in one lump sum - he is currently aged 8

My Friend's (his Mum) husband was killed in an industrial accident 3 years ago, recently got £130K compensation - her part of this, her children got a little in their own right.

What the hell to do - does her compensation from the loss of her husband affect her benefits - eg Carer's allowance, widow's mother's allowance etc

Does the child's compensation affect his allowances, eg DLA, direct payments, motobility allowance

The compensation she received is the only income that she will have for a considerable time as she is unable to work because of his disabilities and his poor health - he has to have a lot of time off his special school because of illness and obviously she then has to be there for him.

She needs to move house into a more suitable property that is hopefully on one floor, so that the child can have more access and she doesn't have to carry him up and down stairs - again, how does she fund this and from which pot of money? - re are any of her benefits means tested in light of the compensation.

Also, the compensation she got will have to last her for many years and she has no pension arrangements other than state pension

Very complex I know, sorry guys, anyone out there got any advice or know where to go to get some - I guess (and thankfully) this is not a situation that arises every day!

many thanks, all help very gratefully received

Comments

• I wont pretend i can answer all of that,however DLA will not be affected nor will carers,i suspect widows mothers allowance wont either.
    I think personally that in these circumstances your friend needs to get professional help and advice as the matter is obviously complex
  • deaks_2
    Options
    thanks for the reply, but that is part of the problem -

finding an expert - does anyone out there know of an FA who would have expertise in dealing with a situation like this, or can someone suggest an organisation that might be able to help?
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport