single mum/fulltime student

Options
im a fulltime student,hnc healthcare. im seperating from my husband. i have 3 dependants,the youngest 12. i have been told that on the 27th oct,ny income support will cease,and i will have to claim jsa.im fulltime student,1st year nurse training. i am not available for work. i was told by the job centre plus that there is no option available to me, but to give up my nurse training,claim jsa and get back to work. i have just given up an 8year post with NHS, to train as a nurse and made this decision with all the information available to me. 6 weeks later im told i cant get any help and my only other alternative is to give up my training and claim jsa and get back to work!! any body heard whats happening with income support and housing benefit?????

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Surely you're not getting IS anyway, with the NHS bursary/loan?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I was under the impression that there are transitional arrangements in place for current students, but I am not sure of what they are. Also, if you have only started studying this month, I doubt that they will apply.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    You will get the full financial support available for your course and will still receive chb, and possibly maintenance from your ex, which won't be taken off you as it would while on IS.

Plus, you'd be a priority if you needed to apply for the hardship fund.

And, you could do bank work during the breaks to cover where the IS etc would have picked up?

I'd think you should be able to manage as your children are old enough to help out around the house etc while you work. It may not be a breeze but better than giving up surely?
  • lainey-lou
    Options
    ive applied to saas,which is the scottish awards agency,i dont get a bursary,i will have a student loan,which in total wouldnt cover my rent alone. at the moment ISis only living costs,minimal and lets me access housing benefit. but come 27th oct,all this is automatically stops. im not the only student at the college this is effecting.and being told by job centre i have to apply jsa as i cant afford,even with bank work to pay my rent,let alone living costs. i am very angry. i made an 'informed'decision to do my training,and have been totaly 'misinformed'with the information ive been given,as have alot of students. talking to agencies that deal with benefits,they had no idea of what was happening with IS and most were horrified at what was happening.as i say, students who unfotuneatly need that little extra help..due to circumstances,are going to be disappointed after th 27th,the Gov have nothing set up to help us.not that im looking for handouts,but the gov are making it very difficult to better yourself.
  • my_two_cents
    Options
    A full-time lone parent student cannot the satisfy the requirement for jobseekers allowance so a transitional arrangement has been put in place for full-time students who began their course before November 2008. Under this arrangement, you will continue to be eligible for Income Support until your youngest child reaches 16 years of age or when your course ends, whichever comes first.

Once the ESA is rolled out nationwide, lone parent full-time students would no longer be allowed to claim ESA unless they get DLA, so get in there whilst you can.

Goodluck with your studies.
    WHAT I SAID NEVER CHANGED ANYONE, WHAT THEY UNDERSTOOD DID:A
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    I do hope that the transitional arrangements will allow you to do your course, but it's worth pointing out that these changes were announced in July of last year and were widely publicised.
  • lainey-lou
    Options
    thank you !!! for your advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills