🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Yorkshire Bank Maestro Card - Warning

Options
For those of you who have a Yorkshire Bank Cash account with a maestro card a small warning.

I used my card at a pay at the pump , worked perfectly.

When i checked my balance, only £1.00 had been deducted.. It is day three now and still no deduction of the £60 i spent.

So beware if you are using this account to spend only what you have !!!

You could end up overspending on this account

Comments

• mitchb
    mitchb Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is nothing to do ith the yorkshire bank. Its the way the maestro system works.

The £1.00 was the retailer checking the card was valid befoe they gave you fuel. they did this before you had taken any fuel so wouldnt know how much to charge at this point.

The yorkshire bank will be waiting for conformation for the retailers authorisations company to confirm the amount the transaction was for before it will be taken off your account.

This is a highly common practice.
  • deepandcalm
    Options
    I understand this, but this account is often talked about on here as a good basic account. (i.e. cannot get overdrawn)... my point was that those people that expected transactions to be posted immediately may overspend and ultimately end up overdrawn.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point the OP is trying to make (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the available balance should have had the amount deducted although the account balance shows the money as still there, and pending.

I had the same problem too, and ended up forgetting I'd paid for something and went overdrawn. It was my one and only time and I've learnt from my mistake!
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    If you want absolutely no possibility of going overdrawn whatsoever, you don't want a Maestro, you want a Solo. IMO, Yorkshire Bank giving away Maestro cards is probably a nice selling point for their Readycash account, but they're very easy to go overdrawn with and shouldn't be given away to people who are at such a risk. That's why Solo exists; it's basically Maestro (and can indeed be processed as such), but ALWAYS authorised online. Hence why it's given to people who shouldn't go overdrawn, and why the giving away of a Maestro with a basic account is somewhat perplexing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport