New Gas Supplier Needed

Options
Hello there!

We received a bill from Scottish Gas yesterday telling us our monthly payment was going up. Our payments are going up from £24 p/m to £45 p/m which we feel is scandalous. It prompted my father to phone SG to ask why the charges were so much and they said prices were going up by 35%. My dad reminded them that 35% of £24 was only around £8 so our bills have gone up nearly 90%!

Surely this can't be right?

It looks like we're going to go with EBICo, are they any good?
Failing in my savings journey! :D

Scottish, British, Proud

Comments

• Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know what your consumption is like, but you're right- that is more than 35%.

EBICo are meant to be non-profit; Scottish Hydro supply them and they get quite good reviews. Someone more knowledgeable than I am will post.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...It looks like we're going to go with EBICo, are they any good?

The nice thing about Ebico is that they charge you the same however you decide to pay.

So elect to pay in full on receipt of bill, and meanwhile put the money you think you should pay monthly into a nice savings account - better you earn the interest on it than some supply company.

That way you can be sure you only pay for what you've actually consumed. If Ebico happen to send you an estimated bill one quarter, call them on their freefone automated customer reading line, and a revised bill based on your own customer reading will be sent out.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Nigella_2
    Options
    Ebico Gas 2.86 for all units. No tiered rate. Not sure when Ebico will up their rates. They use Scottish and Southern Energy as suppliers, SSE have upped their prices except for their own social tariff.

Try doing a price comparison.

It's all dependant on how many units you use and whether you qualify for social tariffs

Energy Watch / Home heat Helpline / Money Supermarket / u switch all worth a try.

I was with BG -> EDF and now with Ebico and save but low user!
  • esbo
    esbo Posts: 462 Forumite
    Options
    Wholesale gas prices have almost halved recently (funny how the gas companies
    have not mentioned that!!!!!!!!!) so don't lock yourself into high prices.
    The gas companies *should* be cutting their tarrifs by about 50% soon.
    http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/performance.asp?s=us@ng.1
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    esbo wrote: »

Great if you happen to live in the US, or the Canadian border, but this site is UK based so probably not of much use to the majority of readers ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    The nice thing about Ebico is that they charge you the same however you decide to pay.

So elect to pay in full on receipt of bill, and meanwhile put the money you think you should pay monthly into a nice savings account - better you earn the interest on it than some supply company.

That way you can be sure you only pay for what you've actually consumed. If Ebico happen to send you an estimated bill one quarter, call them on their freefone automated customer reading line, and a revised bill based on your own customer reading will be sent out.

No mention of their imminent price rise, I see. Hmmmm....
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    esbo wrote: »

What relevance is this to the OP's questions?
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, no price rise yet announced by this company - one of the very few not to have raised them.

Last price change was April this year, the one before that Sptember 2006 and the one before that...oh there wasn't any before that. The company stated selling gas in 1999 and electricity in 2002.

But fear not, I'm sure any price change by ebico will have it's own dedicated thread here as soon as one is announced :)
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    No, no price rise yet announced by this company - one of the very few not to have raised them.

Last price change was April this year, the one before that Sptember 2006 and the one before that...oh there wasn't any before that. The company stated selling gas in 1999 and electricity in 2002.

But fear not, I'm sure any price change by ebico will have it's own dedicated thread here as soon as one is announced :)

My point being that to NOT mention the spectre of the 'imminent price rise' (not my words, the words of Kirsty from Ebico) makes your post/recommendation of little value. By the time your recommended switch has come through, it is highly likely the price increase WILL have happened (again, that's according to Kirsty, not me).

Any 'expert' worth their salt would also have logged in their memory bank the fact that Ebico have changed their policy with regard to price rises and now align more clearly with SSE. Plus, of course, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. ;)
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

2 more negative posts on this thread I note, plus an attempted 'wind-up' of Premier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure