Disability benefit, claim for past 8 years and driving advice please?

Options
All

My father had a severe stroke 8 years ago and works with a bad limp and had poor use of right side. He has never claimed a penny in his life and is a very proud man.

He still drives and has an automatic car and is perfectly safe. He also has an American licence and they test him every six months when they go away for Christmas.

Question is on claiming disability benefit. Whilst he is clearly entitled he has never claim it as he is worried they will take his licence away. Any views please on is this a possibility?

Also, could he claim for the years he has not claimed?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Self confessed Florida expert :) with over 320 trips there!
Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio :)

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would think that if he makes a claim and is safe to drive it would have no affect on his driving licence.

He cannot make a backdated claim for the years he has not claimed.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    He has to inform DVLA of any medical condition which is on their list of ones to be declared. They then make a decision based on medical records and possibly a medical as to whether he is fit to drive. Having a stroke and physical impairments IS on their list.

If he has an accident and it comes to light that he's not declared that he has VLA notifiable conditions, he could be in a lot of trouble. Please tell me he DOES declare the condition to his insurers because he could also find himself being uninsured as well if he hasn't.
  • disney_cjd
    disney_cjd Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes - all was done via the Doctor. I did not know if people of disability benefit could drive a normal car rather than an adapted one.
    Self confessed Florida expert :) with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio :)

• disney_cjd wrote: »
    All

My father had a severe stroke 8 years ago and works with a bad limp and had poor use of right side. He has never claimed a penny in his life and is a very proud man.

He still drives and has an automatic car and is perfectly safe. He also has an American licence and they test him every six months when they go away for Christmas.

Question is on claiming disability benefit. Whilst he is clearly entitled he has never claim it as he is worried they will take his licence away. Any views please on is this a possibility?

Also, could he claim for the years he has not claimed?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Depending on his age he may quailfy for dla if under 65 if he has care and/or mobility needs,if over 65 he can claim AA if he has care needs,and no they cannot be backdated.
    As for driving he and he alone has the responsibilty of informing the DVLA as it appears the problems he has are notifiable,if he doesnt he risks his insurance being null and void and a possible criminal conviction.
    I had to give up driving 10 years ago at the age of 39 for medical reasons and trust me its not the end of the world !
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    disney_cjd wrote: »
    Yes - all was done via the Doctor. I did not know if people of disability benefit could drive a normal car rather than an adapted one.
    They can. There's no law which says a vehicle must be adapted/or you are only allowd to drive a vehicle adapted to your needs. Are you sure DVLA know? Just asking because doctors aren't known for routinely informing the DVLA which is why my grandad was still driving around even with the diagnosed onset of parkinsons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure