Gaps between floorboards and stopg-p.com

Options
I've just moved into a place with lovely period floorboards, but there are gaps between them that I'd like to fill to stop things falling though and the smell of smoke coming up. I've searched around and found http://www.stopg-p.com. Has anyone else seen/heard of/used this product? Is there something that would work better?

Comments

• The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What colour does it come in? Or does it absorb the finish you put down. I would not buy it without a sample & an answer to this question.
    Nice to save.
  • Js_Other_Half
    Options
    Having read through all the FAQ, it does seem easy to do, and easy to remove...

It's really up to you:D
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • casca
    casca Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I've requested a sample that they said will be sent today. If anyone wants to know how it works, post here otherwise I'll assume I'm the only one interested and not waste the electrons.
  • casca
    Options
    I got the sample the next day and tried it out. Basically it's just a roll of slightly flexible plastic with a little scoring down the middle. You push it between the gaps and it sits on top of the joists.
    The reason they don't have colours is because you really can't see it because it's a few millimetres below the surface.

While not impressive in how the product looks, it does seem to work. I used to feel a little breeze through the gaps, but now where I put the sample, nothing. I've ordered a few rolls to cover my place, will report back when it's all done. My final test is whether I can still smell the smoke from the chain-smoker downstairs.
  • macca
    macca Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    oh i see i think so i could lay it before sanding then?
    looks like i might have to invest £20 - keep us updated.
    Cheers
    Macca
  • casca
    Options
    Just a quick update, the product arrived next day and I've started to put it in. While actually putting them between the gaps is very quick and easy, I've discovered that I need to clean the gaps between the floorboards very well, and as this is a rented place, there's all sorts of gunk in there and that takes a bit of time.

But it's nice to be able to put small things on parts of the floor and not worry that they're going to disappear, so I do recommend getting the free sample and seeing whether it works for you.
  • casca
    Options
    Final info on this, I've installed it all over my flat and am really happy with it. The flat seems warmer (but that could just be psychosomatic :) ) and I very seldom smell the smoke from the person downstairs anymore, which is a major winner for me.
  • poppet
    poppet Posts: 253 Forumite
    Options
    butting in on your post somewhat - my husband and i run a small hardwood flooring business......a proffesional way to fill the gaps between the boards is to collect some of the dust produced whilst sanding your boards..keep it to one side...mix it with your choice of coating (lacquer or oil or whatever) it'll form a paste exactly matching your floorboards in colour, which you can then use to fill the gaps with. it will dry hard and blend in very well. There is no guarentee that it wont drop out over time, what with the wooden boards expanding and contracting naturally with the room temp.....but to be honest there's isnt anything we know of on the market that perfomes better..and its not going to cost you anything...bonus eh.
  • casca
    Options
    Thanks poppet. If I owed the place I'd definitely do that, but renting makes that impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure