We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bar Price Tariff incorrect

Options
I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express hotel at the weekend, and the price I was charged for my 275ml bottle of cider was £3, although the tariff beside the bar said £2.80. (Ridiculously expensive at either price, but there was nowhere else to get a drink and I was on my own).

I queried this price discrepancy with the barman, and he just shrugged and said "oh yeah, the price has gone up but we haven't altered the list yet". I said "so how much do I have to pay then?" and he said quite indignantly "£3 of course"!

Am I right in thinking that this is illegal? I didn't dare make a fuss as I didn't want to get thrown out and have nowhere to sleep :(, but I was really quite annoyed. Not so much about the 20p, but the principle and his attitude.:wall:
:D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

Comments

• flyer
    flyer Posts: 2,215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is illegal. Are you local enough to go back and take a photo? If not, contact the Manager and tell him you are going to tell Trading Standards. You may just get a freebie!
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I can't go back as it is a 4-hour train journey down there. It was a bit awkward as the same chap was on the desk when I checked out, and seemed to be a jack-of-all-trades. For all I know, he might well be the manager :(.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected though. I might write to the hotel chain's central office, but I doubt it would get me very far. I just hope someone else with more "bottle" (excuse pun) notices the same thing and does make a fuss.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• flyer
    flyer Posts: 2,215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but it's because people don't make an issue of things like this that companies like HIE get away with it.Make that call!!!!

Same happened to me a couple of years back and my and the wife got a free meal at a top class hotel.
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport