We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free upgrade from Sixt car rental

Options
I booked online with sixt to pick up a car at Basel airport. It offered me satellite navigation for an extra £0.00 - I thought it's worth a try and clicked it.

When I got there, they said that they didn't have the car I wanted with sat nav so they upgraded me for free, in the middle of summer! Obviously that cost me nothing!

Given the choice between the hire car companies, I'd go for them now. There's nothing etween them otherwise.

Avis did overcharge me this summer too!

Comments

• RightRevBod
    Options
    Glad you have had a good experience with Sixt. Unfortunately my experiences have not been as good.

The first time was at Faro. Had to queue over two hours at the desk in the airport. No explanation given. The inlaws who had flown with us and booked the hirecar elsewhere had driven off, and came back to the airport an hour and a half later to see what had happened to us.

Second time was in Fueteventura. Had booked an automatic as I had a bad left foot at the time. When we arrived on the Friday there was no automatic available until the following Monday. Come Monday they still did not have the type of car that we had booked. With hindsight, we should have walked (limped) away and got a car from elsewhere, then claimed the money back once we got to the UK. The holiday was still enjoyable, but this did put something of a damper on things.

I personally will avoid Sixt like the plague from now onwards.
    [size=-2] If this post was unhelpful, please tell me.
    If it was helpful, please tell everyone - Press the [highlight]Thanks[/highlight] button!
    [/size]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family