Flooding question

Options
My street was flooded this week after a major mains burst. The water came up to my house and about 5cm up the wall, but didn't come in and didn't get high enough to get through air bricks (which it did with my neighbours).

The loss adjusters have been on site and gone, however since they've gone there is a terrible smell in my kitchen. It is though there is something in the drain under my washing machine and sink. Could this be a side effect of flooding and if so what course of action should I take to check and rectify? I've tried putting soda crystals in the washing machine and doing a boil wash to freshen up, but this doesn't seem to have worked.

Many thanks everyone, I'm sure I could look this up, but this has been going on for three days, I'm really tired and have got to the point that I'm beyond rational thought!
Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like some water might have got in the house and is getting stagnent under the machine.
    You could get a strong person to pull it out so you can disinfect the floor.
    It's not hard to pull out, more technique than anything. Open the door and put your hand in the drum and grab hold of it and the rubber seal. A hefty tug and it'll come. Not for the fainthearted.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello vivatifosi

I'll move your thread to the 'Flood and Storms Help & Information' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks to you both,

The clean up crew are now back on site and are aware of my problem so are keeping an eye to it. Thank goodness its a main and therefore someone else can be held responsible. If it was a river that had burst and come into the house I'd be on my own!

Thanks again for your help..
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure