PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - replacement for beef shin?

Options
Hi all,

I have a recipe for steak and kidney pudding, and it calls for beef shin. I can't find meat specifically labelled as shin, so wondered what i should use instead? Is any ol' stewing steak suitable?

Thanks

Gilly
Debt free date: October 2006 :money:

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if u cook it slow stewing steak will be fine.. otherwise u can use braising steak or any other beef come to that

HTH
    x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shykins wrote:
    if u cook it slow stewing steak will be fine.. otherwise u can use braising steak or any other beef come to that

HTH
    x

I like to use braising steak anyway rather than shin.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made a fantastic pie once with one of the tins of stewed steak from Aldis, added a bit of extra onion;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • cardtart_2
    cardtart_2 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    Have you gone to a traditional butcher for shin beef ?Also I am sure I have bought it at Morrissons in the past.
    bye hoo
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    If you can find skirt of beef, that is even better as the fibres break apart when cooked long and slow (3-4 hours is best). However, it really must be marinated for 24 hours beforehand in some red wine for the acid to start to break the fibres down . Cheap wine is ok (I freeze any leftover bits of red wine in ice cube trays for stuff like that!)
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • eileenfromplaistow
    Options
    Left-over wine - what's that!!!!!!!!!
  • eileenfromplaistow
    Options
    Seriously, though. I find shin takes a bit of cutting up, let alone cooking time, but I sometimes use "frying steak" when it has been reduced, as it is like shoe leather when fried, but tender when curried or casseroled.
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For pies and puddings, I use shin, skirt, chuck, stewing or braising, they all taste good. I cook it a bit in one piece then cut up into chunks. It's easier on the arthriticky fingers!

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stick the meat in a bowl and cut it with scissors if you have movement trouble. I've had a stroke and the scissors save me from a lot of pain and chopped fingers!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts