Relative energy costs?

Options
I am doing an exercise where I need to know the relative costs of gas, oil and electricity. I know it’s a very volatile situation currently, but just a rough estimate based on current average market prices would be very helpful and it doesn’t need to be fantastically accurate. Thanks

Geoff

"nothing is for free................ it's for nothing, free of charge or simply free"

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Not only are prices volatile, but they can vary depending upon where you live.

Another huge factor is the efficiency of your gas or oil boiler. This can vary from 95% down to 50% for a really old boiler - so effectively double the price of the gas/oil you use.

However as a very rough guide(ignoring the standing charge/tier 1):

gas is 2.5p to 3p for a kWh
    Electricity 9p to 12p for a kWh
    oil is 6p for a kWh (@60p litre)
  • gmatwork
    Options
    Thanks for that Cardew. The reason I need this info is that I'm trying to do some cost comparisons between running modern SEDBUK A rated gas and oil boilers against a range of air source heat pumps, so the relative price per kWh is quite important, and whilst I'm in the heating industry, those figures are hard to track down.
    Geoff

"nothing is for free................ it's for nothing, free of charge or simply free"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A litre of oil produces 10.2kWh.

With ASHPs you then have the problem of estimating the average COP over a year.

There is an interesting thread in the 'Fuel and other heating' section on an ASHP installation - and other threads on heat pumps.
  • gmatwork
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    A litre of oil produces 10.2kWh.
    Cardew wrote: »

With ASHPs you then have the problem of estimating the average COP over a year.

There is an interesting thread in the 'Fuel and other heating' section on an ASHP installation - and other threads on heat pumps.

Thanks again for that info. Yes, lots of variables to take into account when estimating the COP, but as I said it will all be a bit ‘ball park’ anyway.
    Geoff

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure