Getting Childcare Tax Credits without needing them

Options
Hi all,

Over the summer holiday I had to pay for childcare for my kids to a registered provider. The provider cost £160 per week and I got the requisite amount (don't know exactly the figure as all bundled in with WTC & CTC) from tax credits.

Today I phoned the tax credits people to tell them I don't need the childcare anymore as the kids have gone back to school as of today, and they told me I will continue to get the extra amount until 28th of this month. I asked if that wouldn't be an overpayment? Apparently not.

I asked a couple of times about whether I would have to pay the money back when they worked it all out, and again the answer was no. I came right out and asked if it would be like a bonus to me. Answer was yes.

Apparently it is to help people who have to pay a monthly fee for childcare. However, I will be getting about 3 extra weeks of this payment.

Can anyone tell me if this is right? Will I get a big shock demand later down the line?

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    it's called the run on period, i've had this before when i moved jobs and it's perfectly alright, the money is yours to spend.
  • tincat
    tincat Posts: 935 Forumite
    Options
    Wow this is fantastic.:T

Thanks (will pay down my credit card a bit more this month):rotfl:

Hopefully no one will burst my bubble further down the line.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is a 4 week run on of childcare costs when they cease, you also get a 4 week run on of the higher amount if the costs decrease.
  • Lord_Dante
    Options
    It's designed to keep child places open in case you find a work but also secretly because no one was stopping their claims when claiming benefits after leaving work and too many were being rejected and having to be done again ;)
  • SABJ
    SABJ Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    when i stopped using childcare i rang them and they stopped it right away i didnt get any extra weeks but that was about 18mths ago and it changes all the time i would write down the date and time u called them and if anything does come back to you you can give them this info so they can trace the call hopefully it wont come to that tho
    sarah :)
    :T I love MSE ! :j
  • frames1_uk
    Options
    I thought they just worked it out as a percentage of 52 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts