Sky's policy to rip you off...

Options
I heard from a friend that Sky (the satellite television company) attempts to get £400 out of every subscriber, every year. They mainly do this by boosting your subscription price - I have seen this happen lots!
The service is great, the only problem is, it is sold by a company called Sky... ;)

Comments

• Becky
    Becky Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes.

They put the fee up by a few pounds every so often. I think they do this to 'mask' increases because most people do not miss it too much, or at least do not question it.
  • workingwoodlands
    Options
    I just wanted to let people know that I have managed to get "one over" on Sky. We recently moved home and wanted to take Sky with us. I phoned them on their 0870 number grrrrrrrrrr and they said it would cost £40 to have a new dish installed at the new property. With this I proceeded to tell the very nice lad on the end of the phone that he could place my subscription where the sun does not shine :rotfl: He thought that was very funny and said if that was the case then because I was such a great customer I could have it for free!!
    Caz :rolleyes:
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haggling or whatever else you want to call it always works - well most of the time ;). Sky, and many other businesses for that matter, don't want to lose customers so they will do what they can to try and keep you as a customer - Even if it means spending out their own money. They are still going to make a profit even though they are £40 down so it isn't really much of a loss to them! :rotfl:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I didn't exactly 'get one over' on Sky but, when they sent the annual 'your subscription is going up' letter in August, I found out that, from 1/9/05, they were changing the way they 'packaged' the channels.

That meant that, instead of just rolling over and letting my sub go up from £19.50 to £21, I was able to 'downsize' and only pay them £15.

So, instead of a £1.50 increase, they got £4.50 (£6) less from me.

Yes, they're still making money from me but I'm using what I've saved on phone calls thanks to MSE! :beer:
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Options
    I phoned them on their 0870 number grrrrrrrrrr

Why did you do that when you could of used the freephone number (no its not the Disney number): 0800 7316965
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • Becky
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    I didn't exactly 'get one over' on Sky but, when they sent the annual 'your subscription is going up' letter in August, I found out that, from 1/9/05, they were changing the way they 'packaged' the channels.

That meant that, instead of just rolling over and letting my sub go up from £19.50 to £21, I was able to 'downsize' and only pay them £15.

So, instead of a £1.50 increase, they got £4.50 (£6) less from me.

Yes, they're still making money from me but I'm using what I've saved on phone calls thanks to MSE! :beer:

What did you remove? We subscribe for the sports channels. I do not watch the others but I thought we 'had' to have the expensive £36 subscription.

I'll try the 0800 number. From what I have tried, most of their 0800 numbers have stopped working!
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Options
    Becky wrote:
    I'll try the 0800 number. From what I have tried, most of their 0800 numbers have stopped working!

I've just tried it and it works ;)
  • Becky
    Options
    How do people find out these 0800 numbers?

I Googled the number and not one reference came back from the sky.com website.

Nicely hidden...

Has anybody moved house where there has been a SKY dish already installed and got away with the installation fee?

We moved to a new house with our SKY box and plugged it straight in.

I called SKY and asked them to change my correspondence details and it was done with no charge.

I have heard they can charge anything from £40-60 to "re-install" the equipment!!
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Options
    Becky wrote:
    How do people find out these 0800 numbers?

I Googled the number and not one reference came back from the sky.com website.

Nicely hidden...

Has anybody moved house where there has been a SKY dish already installed and got away with the installation fee?

We moved to a new house with our SKY box and plugged it straight in.

I called SKY and asked them to change my correspondence details and it was done with no charge.

I have heard they can charge anything from £40-60 to "re-install" the equipment!!

Yes, my hubby is in the army and we move quite a lot. Usually, our new property has already got the dish up and it is a case of plug and go with no charge.

However, now we have Sky+, this is no longer the case. Not everyone has Sky plus, so we end up paying the call out :(
  • srak
    srak Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    The new place we are moving to hasn't got a dish. Do sky supply another since I paid for the present one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure