How to mortgage the un-mortgable-able

Options
Hi all,

I am looking at a massionate with 2 kitchens in requirement of cosmetic touching up, which makes it fail lending criteria for every lender at the moment.

My question is kind of two fold:

* Is it possible to get a refurb mortgage on this instead of a traditional residential or buy to let? . So idea is, borrow a little, remove one kitchen + cosmetic touching up. then borrow remaining
(Obviously I have never done a refurb before :rolleyes2 )

*Is this scenario possible:
  • I have a valuation done.
  • Valuation fails, reason: 2 kitchens and crap condition inside.
  • In addition to the above, can valuer put on his/her report that they will lend IF the above was changed? (so in affect, have in writing what could be changed to have the property pass the lender's lending criteria)
Many thanks in advance for your guidance/opinions/experiences

Comments

• arkie
    arkie Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    What is stopping you at the moment is the 2nd kitchen, lenders do not like it, get rid of the 2nd kitchen then start again.
    No such thing as a refurb mortgage
    I am a Whole of Market Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CHL used to lend on these, but to be honest I dont know if they are still lending or not as I havent needed to use them this year.
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    When you say 'borrow a little' are you talking sub-£30K? If so, your best bet would be to get a personal loan over 5-8 years.

Why was there a second kitchen in the first place? Can you split it into 2 mini-flats?
  • cem
    cem Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah I should have been more clearer, I do not own the property (yet) and it is one I would like to buy hence the second question above.(Sorry guys!)

Because if the second is possible, could do an open bridge for 2 weeks, get the kitchen removed + cosmetic touching up then get a mortgage to refund open bridge
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CEM

I know of one lender that will lend up to 70% on this. They are actually a small private lender. They are there for these cases, and know you will do the refurb and look to remortgage to a better rate asap, hence the rate is high - about 11 - 12%.
    They will also charge an exit fee of about 2 or 3 months payments when you redeem early on.

The most important factor for them is that there is a clearly defined exit route.

They personaly visit every property they lend on for which there is a £500 charge, refunded when you complete.
  • cem
    Options
    Thanks Conrad - Unfortunately 70% LTV is too high for me.

Do you think the other side is possible though. To have in writing from valuers on their vluation report what would make the property pass their lending criteria when they fail a valuation? i.e remove 1 kitchen+cosmetic touch up.
  • luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Options
    cem wrote: »
    Thanks Conrad - Unfortunately 70% LTV is too high for me.

Do you think the other side is possible though. To have in writing from valuers on their vluation report what would make the property pass their lending criteria when they fail a valuation? i.e remove 1 kitchen+cosmetic touch up.

70% ltv is too high for you? Do you mean you need to borrow more than 70% of the value?
  • cem
    Options
    Do you mean you need to borrow more than 70% of the value?

yes exactly..Ideally can get a 10% depsoit (15% if I really stretch) so 90% LTV would ideal.
  • Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Options
    The company loaning you the money may make a demand on exchange that monies for the works to be completed are also available and they are done before you complete.

Sounds like you should walk away to me to be honest
  • cem
    Options
    Gangsta - not sure I understand what you mean from that (possibly..loan company may demand money back before the work is done?)

The loan will be arranged as a 3 weeks loan in which the work will be done, followed by revaluation then remortgage which will pay back the loan money.

Although my question still stands...(c'mon guys)...

Is it possible...

To have in writing from valuers on their valuation report what would make the property pass their lending criteria when they fail a valuation? i.e remove 1 kitchen+cosmetic touch up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure